Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 dog house for archery >

dog house for archery

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

dog house for archery

Old 05-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default dog house for archery

Does anyone have experience with Amristeps Doghouse hunting blind? Is the TSC option worthwhile? It seems like a nice blind for a low price but would like feedback from someone that has used it. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2005, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: dog house for archery

I have the doghouse, and have used it to bowhunt for Thunder Chickens. It gives you plenty of room to sit on a stool. and draw your bow for shooting. I even have had my son in there while I arrowed a hen one fall. I don't have the TSC, that came out the yr after I bought mine, so can't help you there. But far as bowhunting room its fine, the outhouse is too small to draw a bow. I only suggest you practice shooting out of your blind to get used to shooting out the small windows, and aiming ok.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have both the TSC and standard model Doghouses. Either should work just fine for bowhunting situations. I have not used the TSC model for hunting as of yet but I have used the standard model to take two does so far. I have not had any problems with the blinds at this point though folks have reported such things as wind flap, a glare off of the nylon material and trouble moving around in the blind at full draw.

For the price I think they are a respectable deal and I would not hesitate to buy another.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:36 PM

See, these guys don't have any trouble, but I simply can't get drawn inside of it. I just don't have enough room. So, for the same money I got a Trophy Den, by River's Edge. I had to drop a window and stick the arrow out of the window to get drawn, defeating the purpose IMO. The floor space is 5' square. Me, I have a 30 inch draw, and shoot 29 inch arrows. When I extend my left arm, the tip of the arrow hits the side of the blind. If I moved far enough back, my right elbow was pressing against the back of the blind. I like the hub style blinds for archery, because the hubs give you about 2 more feet across the blind.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Typical Buck

We purchased the regular doghouse and added the larger TSC windows.. which cover the whole opening..

The only difference between the TSC and the standard doghouse is that the TSC has the zip out floor and the larger mesh window... the window kit can be purchased seperately for about $25. Other than that they are exactly the same.

I think the Doghouse is a little small for a bowhunter. I am 6' tall and have a 29" draw. When at full draw my elbow touches the back wall and the front of the bow is about 2" from the mesh windows.

There is more room in the 2 hub style blinds like the Double Bull T2 style blinds... and these are definatelt the easiest to set up and the lightest blinds available... and still give you more room than the Doghouse.

I think he Brickhouse/Double Bull 5 hub cube style blinds would offer much more room then anything else due to the hubs pushing away from the center... and there are some that are even larger like the Bighouse ect... but there is a point when things get to be too large.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:54 AM
Typical Buck

I'm 6'1" and I've killed turkeys, deer and beavers out of my dog house with bows, shotguns and rifles and Ameristep is a great company. I've read several threads extolling the customer friendlyness and quick, satisfactory response to customers.

IMO, the doghouse is just right for archery. Not to big, not to small, "just right".
Old 05-11-2005, 12:58 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

See, these guys don't have any trouble, but I simply can't get drawn inside of it.
Draw toward the corner. You could even shoot from corner to corner with the lager windows in.

You can get replacement screen for screen windows and velcrow to make one of those lager windows pretty cheap and I've used the regular windo screen to fix mine after they get shot up too bad many times. A little camo paint and it's as good as factory.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:18 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with Jack. I've got the TSC and have used it for deer and took my first turkey this year out of it. I have a 30" draw and, yes, it's a little tight but not really a problem. I do as Jack suggests and just draw pointing at the corners and usually my pull arm is against the tent but once again, not a problem. I started to get the bigger Brickhouse or Roundhouse but didn't want to get something too big. I usually like to tuck it in some cedars or a small opening in brush/trees. I feel like its a pretty good blind for the price. I can now set it up or take it down in less than 5 minutes and with the backpack case it comes in its easy to tote a ways. I would check out the TSC though because I think it is about 8" bigger than the standard doghouse. http://www.ameristep.com/blinds/index.html
Old 05-11-2005, 06:34 AM

Doghouse is simply too small for a large person to bowhunt from. It is impossible for me (31" draw) to draw without spooking game. At full draw, my elbow is touching the back and my bow is touching the front.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the dog house blind that doesn't have a floor on it. There have been several times that I wished it did. I would pay extra for a floor.

Tom

Quick Reply: dog house for archery

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.