Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhunting for turkeys with no blind? >

Bowhunting for turkeys with no blind?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting for turkeys with no blind?

Old 04-26-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Bowhunting for turkeys with no blind?

i am headed out this weekend for pa spring turkey. These birds are so dumb that i decided it was time to put the shotgun away and try and get one with my bow. I don't plan on using a blind because these birds move all over this piece of property and it would be a pain to carry. my question is which is the best way to setup for turkey with your bow without a blind? sitting? kneeling?standing? my dad will be with me too so if the bird sees my drawing or i miss, he will be able to drop it....thanks
Old 04-26-2005, 06:36 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting for turkeys with no blind?

Depends. Have you ever shot kneeling, or sitting, or, for that matter, drawing your bow back with all those eyes looking around? I pulled it off last year, but I was next to an open field, buried in the tall grass, kneeling next to a tree, and the buger saw me draw, but hesitated a bit too long. Honestly, todays blinds are lightweight, easy to set up and tear down, and are the best way to go. If you don't want to carry one, get that one that looks like an umbrella and screws into your stabilizer threads. I can't member the name....Invisiblind maybe...oh well.....If you haven't shot from a kneeling position, you should consider practice. It is quite different.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

You should try all the shooting positions and see which one you shoot best with. me personally i kneel next to the biggest tree and can find to hind behind so a can draw.
Old 04-26-2005, 06:58 PM

Just find out where they move through, make some calls and locate your birds, when you find where they are just get a good plus to tuck in and call the birds in. This is the way we do it when we run and gun here in Florida.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:08 PM

Be carefull, it doesn't take much to educate a turkey. Get too bold and they may figure you out for years to come.

If you plan on being in high grass consider tying some of it to the bow as camo. Other than that maybe you should consider becoming the blind by using a ghillie suit. You still have to hold pretty still but those things work much better than you'd think.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:10 PM

you absolutely have to be more still than ever. i would even recommend getting a full face mask thats what i always use.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot them out of my deer stands all the time. Definantly need to be camo from head to toe.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm headed out this year with a bow and no blind too. Not because the turkeys are too dumb, but because I proved that I can miss the easiest of easy shots with a gun last year, so missing or not getting a shot off with a bow ain't a big deal. One tip I can provide is that YOU MUST PRACTICE FROM WHATEVER POSITION YOU CHOOSE. My shooting was all sorts of off when I first tried. I plan on using a low small fold up chair. Took some getting used to drawing and shooting. I wish those partial blinds were legal in PA. That would be ideal.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's gonna be really tough. Personally, I would use a blind, but it can be done without one. You should setup a decoy facing towards you. Alot of time a tom will want to strut facing a decoy. Your best bet is to have him strutting while facing away and then draw and shoot him where all the tail feathers come together. Hope this helps some.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree as well that you should get yourself a blind ,I use one now and it make's it much easier than you would expect .But it can be done without a blind as well but you'll need lot's of cover and you'll need to draw much sooner ,because the bird's have the best eye's of all and spot any movement ,just be sure to draw as soon as he start's to get close ,not when he's right in front of you. It also help's to practice in different position's as well as other's have already said ,but you can pull it off as long as you can draw behind cover before the bird step's out .Good luck

nubo