Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property >

CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Boy do I have a story!!

I have been hunting this farm for 8 years. It was owned by family till last year, and a local farmer baught the property. I recieved permission to hunt the property about 6 weeks before season. Did my anual scouting and hung a few stands. I went out opening morning and to my supprise about 15 min. before day light, two hunter walk up. " we leased this land 2 weeks ago, you are going to have to leave". Turns out this hunter is the owner of the local bow store that I bought my AR from!! Over the last year and a half I have shared my hunting stories with this guy and showed him all of my Deer Cam pictures. (I have 3 pics. of a huge 10 point from last year). This guy found out who the new owner of the land was and leased the property out from under me..

Lesson learned!!!
In search of new hunting property and a honest bow dealer.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Sign of the times,we need to get use to it. sometimes this finding hunting property can get greedy and nasty
Old 10-07-2004, 02:42 AM

yes its sad to say but some people have very little respect for others

Old 10-07-2004, 04:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I think that's one bow shop owner who would never be getting another dime from me or any of my friends , I'd also spread the word about what a back stabbing prig he is . You'd be surprised how much business you can cost this azzhole with a little word of mouth if you try hard enough . [:@]
Old 10-07-2004, 04:50 AM

business you can cost this azzhole with a little word of mouth if you try hard enough .

Old 10-07-2004, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ever heard the saying "Loose lips sink ships" i hate it for you we had a piece of property leased the first year 1$ acre we did not kill any deer the first 3 yrs, we worked our tales off put in food plots, stands, gates, the works, your gonna love this part a lawyer and a dentist found our proerty, 3500 acres all one tract from an airplane ride, found the land owner and leased it out from under us, if you lease property try to get a 10 year lease with first right of refusal, our rate had gone to 3.50 acre these guys come in and offered 5, you can't blame the landowner, well the next year we told the landowner we would give him 6.50 so the hotshot lawyer and the dentist ended up paying 7 probably no big deal to them but i'm still glad it cost them a little extra. also i try to keep it quiet about where i hunt, who's land i hunt, and what i've killed. once again i hate it for you but it is the way things are, and seams to be getting worse
Old 10-07-2004, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Seems like the land owner changed his mind. Did you happen to offer to pay some of the lease to the shop owner if you could hunt there. It would seem only fair to the shop owner.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see where the guy did anything wrong and certainly nothing dishonest. You may not give him anymore business and I probably wouldn't either but I don't blame the guy whatsoever. I don't like sharing spots with other people either. More pressure equals harder deer to hunt. If I have a chance to wrap it up for myself then that's what I am going to do. You use to hunt there, you had a nice run and now it's time to move on. You had a chance to lease it just like he did. That guy owes you nothing. Hunting is hunting and some people are more protective of it than others. I here people that hunt talk about letting others hunt there land and I think man they must not be as serious about this stuff as I am. I have a few select friends that I hunt with and they are welcome to anything I have except my wife. But no way am I letting some aquaintance just hunt my land.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:38 AM
Fork Horn

I think all leasing is bad but what that guy did realy stinks.
Old 10-07-2004, 07:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think all leasing is bad
All leases? Why? Do you realize the cost of property and school taxes? For a non-hunter it is a way to recoup some of it. For example for my wooded 100 acres in NYS, I pay $2500.00 per year, and it is on a non-maintained road that I do not have access by car or truck in the winter, therefore, no fire protection at all in the winter. I am a hunter and also us it for camping, etc, so I do not lease it out. But, for a non-hunter, it would be very tempting to recoup some of those taxes.

Quick Reply: CAUTION Local dealer leases hunting property

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.