Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How often should you change a bowstring? >

How often should you change a bowstring?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How often should you change a bowstring?

Old 04-13-2005, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default How often should you change a bowstring?

I have a Cabalas Outfitter PL-1 bow that I have hunted with for two seasons. I do shoot regularly especially starting in July or august. My string has slight fraying in the peep sight area but when I wax it it looks fine. One guy told me that he changes his every three seasons. I know it might be safer to change it now but I shoot very well with my setup now and really hate to change it all up if I don’t have to. It came with a 401 low stretch string.

So here are my main questions:

1. Would I be safe leaving it on for a 3rd season if the string rally does look not frayed very much?
2. Should I change the cable every time you change strings (I've heard mixed about that from some people)?
3. Does anyone have any bad experiences form strings breaking because the left them on to long and if so how long was it on?
Old 04-13-2005, 10:43 AM

Default RE: How often should you change a bowstring?

I've read every 5000 shots but I only make it apoint to change it once a year (generally in the spring). I'm sure I shoot more then 5000 shots over the course of a year but not to the point where I'll wear a string out.

When I was younger and didn't know any better I went a few years without changing a string.

1) I personally wouldn't and I'll give you a couple of reasons why. Strings aren't that expensive. Obvious safety issues. If it should snap durring the fall and the bow dosen't come apart in pieces you'll pay hell to get it into a shop (busy time of year). If you get it in a shop you'll have a new string on your bow that will need tuning and likely will be stretching for a while after it's replaced. In complete honesty I wouldn't wait to change it. Do it now and you'll be sitting pretty when the season comes.
2) I have hard evidence either way on this question but I do. Again they're not that expensive campared to the price of your bow.
3) Not personally but I use to shoot with a guy when I was younger, a friend of a friend that I've lost touch with. He was shooting a string 2 years old and had it let go while shooting 3-d in mid August. He ended up with a nasty bruise on his arm from where the string whipped him. Luckily the bow didn't "explode" but he had a heck of a time getting a new string on because it was the bust season and them he dealt with the tuning and stretch problems I mentioned previously.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

masterblaster, if you used it regularly like you said, it is time to change the string and buss cable. I would also agree that it should be changed (if you regularly use it) once a year. I have had experiences with strings breaking and have gotten somewhat hurt, but it wasn't from them being old I beleive.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:26 PM

I shoot on average 3.5 times a week for about three hours all year average including hunting season, for 17 years now . I don't know if that is more or less than anyone. L don't change mine reguarly but I have had strings give me sign of changing so I did change them. Like axle to axle lenght changing. Strings un twisting on me. If I get a couple of good seasons on them they will fray near the serving from hitting my winter clothing. I only shoot Winner Choice strings, they have 100% serving on there Buss cable so they last a long time. My set is $107 for the string and cable.
Old 04-13-2005, 02:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice/info.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Dominant Buck

I've read every 5000 shots but I only make it apoint to change it once a year (generally in the spring).
Thats me. Put a new one on in spring and retune through the summer so your ready for deer season in fall. I also replace my cables and yokes every two years.
Old 04-13-2005, 06:41 PM

I have to change mine every year. i don't get top stuff like winners choice i just get parker strings and cables. It cost 50 dollars i think my dad pays for it . Ha Ha
Old 04-13-2005, 07:15 PM

I do exactly what burniegoeseasily does,for exactly the same reasons.
Old 04-15-2005, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on my 3rd set of strings and cables on my 2004 Liberty, but I shoot the devil outta that bow. I dont wait till they are showing signs of wear, but I will change them right after hunting season no matter how much wear they show.