Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 new to bowhunting - draw weight >

new to bowhunting - draw weight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

new to bowhunting - draw weight

Old 04-11-2005, 09:52 AM

Default new to bowhunting - draw weight

Im new to bowhunting and im finally at 40 lbs. I started 3 weeks ago and I was pulling 30 lbs. Im a female with small stature and im hoping to get to 50 lbs by sept. How much would u need for elk hunting? There is a women I know at Winter Hawk outfitters that kills elk on a 48 lb draw.

Thanks
Melissa
Old 04-11-2005, 10:16 AM

Default RE: new to bowhunting - draw weight

I think it ultimately depends on shot placement. I've seen pics of elk killed with bows in the 40# range. Personally, I would want a minimum of 50lbs for a critter of that size.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

There is a thread right now discussing a very similar issue. Here is the link:

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=1024658
Old 04-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

Did I get my point across? A #45 pound bow will take out an elk if you hit it in the right spot. A #70 pound bow is going to wound an animal if you hit it in the butt.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

At 40 to 50 lbs. you have enough to make a clean kill on an elk. A well tuned set up, sharp broadheads, confidence in your shooting abilities and waiting until the elk is in your comfort zone will increase your chances on filling your tag.
Good Hunting...
Old 04-11-2005, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Max,
Shot placement is the key! I have killed five elk with my bow. not one of them farther then 25 yds. At 40-45#'s you should be kosher. I would reccommend a cut on contact BH. and a fairly heavy arrow. Bowhunters are meant to get close! Good luck!
Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: whitetaildeer87

Im new to bowhunting and im finally at 40 lbs. I started 3 weeks ago and I was pulling 30 lbs. Im a female with small stature and im hoping to get to 50 lbs by sept. How much would u need for elk hunting? There is a women I know at Winter Hawk outfitters that kills elk on a 48 lb draw.

Thanks
Melissa

Well I'd say right around 48 pounds.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:39 PM

I agree shot placement is the key. Just get alot of good quality practice(kneeling, sitting, elevated...)and know your distances, you will be fine. Know your limits and stay within them.

Good Luck and happy hunting.
Old 04-12-2005, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

I started bow hunting with a pse nova we bought for my wife (she was afraid of guns). She was all pumped up about it at first then she never went. So I thought what the heck, Ill give bow hunting a shot. I got the bow up to 49lbs. It was 24" draw. I killed 2 deer with it. Don’t know about Elk. But that should be plenty for a deer.
BTW, the archery shop told me not to use expendables and I didn’t listen. I used them the second season and shot a deer but did not get a passthrough. The arrow only penetrated 9 or 10 inches with a 15-yard shot. There was basically only speckles of blood and I it took 4 hours so find the deer in a thicket. The deer before that I used 100 gr. thunderheads and got a passthrough. So don’t use expendables. . Also don’t crank up the bow so mush its uncomfortable to shoot just for the sake of getting more poundage. It’s not worth the sacrifice of accuracy. I figured that out with my new bow. That’s the only advice I could give.
Old 04-12-2005, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Dont know about elk, but I use to have a girlfriend that killed everything with nothing more than 45lbs. She took mullies, whitetail, and hogs with no problem.