Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Need some advice with new bowhunters! >

Need some advice with new bowhunters!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need some advice with new bowhunters!

Old 03-30-2005, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Another Archery Education Class, Need some advice!

No problem with learning - I learn something new every day. And just like the Doctors we tend to trust so much, I 'practice' at my professional on a daily basis to gain as much knowledge as possible.

And yes, I am a Certified Instructor. My concern was that someone might try to 'include' a lot of extra information into a class and dilute the essense of what has to be taught - SAFETY. I'm sure you understand such a position. If you'll read my post again, as I did, I think you'll see that there is a concern for making sure the entire lesson plan is covered.

As I stated above, "And, I will watch this thread to see what responses you get that would differ from the format." I might just like to include a list with our next class in May. And good for you for thinking 'outside the envelope'.
Old 03-30-2005, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Len,
I am Idahoelkinstructor's wife. I teach with him. Yes, it is hard to include all of the information in the class. One thing that we both strive to do in teaching is to let the students know that there are multiple ways to gain information about the sport. For example, I have on many occasions read posts here that have enlightened me on ways to bowhunt. Good and bad. I have learned alot from the people on this site. More than anything I have seen the reality of the sport here. Until I visited this site I hadn't ever been faced with blatant disregard for ethics by some hunters, and their bragadocious and ignorant way of talking about the sport. Thank heavens it has been few and far between, but nontheless it was still here. I want other bowhunters to know that there are great sources of information for them to be able to use. This list will be just the tip of the iceberg on what they can learn. Thanks for your input, BTW. Any input from another instructor is very helpful.

Hikchick
Old 03-31-2005, 05:51 AM

Ethics, respect to others, and always help each other out. You are doing a awesome thing, good on you.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Need some advice with new bowhunters!

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

PS. After reading the thread about the bowhunter throwing away his arrows because his fletching were ripped,
Oh i feel so good now. Got everyone talking about me. [&:] Lol j.k i dont mind
Old 03-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd stress the need to practice year round. I know too many people that decide to break out their bows 2 weeks before the season to see if they are still able to hit a target. I have heard of people just going out without even doing that much. If you can't be reasonably sure you are going to hit what you're aiming at, take a camera and leave the bow home.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jason, I too am a certified bow instructor here in montana going on my third year. Its nice and very rewarding to give something back that we take for granite. Its very rewarding when students come up at the end of class and thank you for your unselfishness in sharing not only the format and guidlines of the course but from ones personal experience that can not be taught from any text.
Usually we have the local biologist and game warden as quest speakers and I'll also bring my backpack in and bows and archery box and show the class my set up as well as going over survival skills in the wilderness. I am sure you have your share of hunters that go into the woods there also that never make it back out, I hear of horror stories like that every year of inexperience people under estimating mother nature. I can just go on and on but I like to think that I have shared what little I know to those who may not. Congradulations and keep up the good work. Bobby
Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bobby, I also love it when students contact me after the season and let me know of thier success. I tell my studend to feel free to contact me and let me know good or bad how they did thier first year. Becase most students we teach are going after elk, few are successful their first year out. Also I do make an offer in every class to my students. That if they are not hunting too far from my home (within a half day drive being the limit). And by chance if they happen to wound and loose an animal, but have found blood that is from the chest cavitly. Then I will go with them and help them try to find it if I am able to. Thankfully for the sake of the animal and the new bowhunter, I have not been taken up on that offer yet. But I have had students call me up and ask if I could come hunting with them and call for them. I tell them "thanks but no, but I will try and teach you how to use elk calls". Last year about 10 of our students were friends and they invited me over to one of thier houses and we all learned and practiced our elk calling a bit. It was a lot of fun. Jason
Old 03-31-2005, 01:56 PM

Well, I hunted a little in my youth 30 years ago so I guess I could qualify as a 'new' bowhunter. Other than this forum, the best resource I have found is the Public Library. So far I've read three books on Whitetale hunting with many more to be explored.

Don