Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bowhunting in washington state >

bowhunting in washington state

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting in washington state

Old 03-29-2005, 09:21 PM

Default bowhunting in washington state

-i've been shooting for some time now but im now thinkin that i'd like to get out in the field and hunt
-i've taken the class so i can get my liscense and all and i have a respectable set-up, but i was just wonderin if anyone here is from washington and if they could point me towards some places that would be worth my while...
Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 PM

Default RE: bowhunting in washington state

Where at in Washington are you?

What will you be hunting?
Old 03-30-2005, 08:51 PM

i live in western washington, but im willing to drive...
my brother got a new .22 and want to go small game hunting and i thought it'd be fun to go along- but we dont know where to go
i've never been hunting but my dad used to and he is willing to take us... so anything from rabbits to quail - i'd like to start off small...we got liscenses and gear- we just dont want to end up at some dump
any ideas?
-thanks!
Old 03-30-2005, 11:41 PM

Where roughly do you live in western washington I might be able to give you a couple ideas. I live in western washington also to be more specific I live not far from Olympia. But I hunt in alot of timber farms such as weyehauser,Simpson etc. you get the idea ,and there is a ton of national forests which are nice to hunt. Give me some info. I'll see if I can help you more. It's good to see some more people wanting to enjoy the sport.
Old 03-31-2005, 01:48 AM
Fork Horn

When i first moved out West years ago (OR) i drove the many logging roads and spur roads just to see what kind of game was available and where to hunt,,you just have to get your foot in the door sort of speaking,just get out there and look around.
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 AM

Maghunter- i live in seattle
i hate it here- there are far to many anti-hunting advocates here
but if thatm helps any thanks
i got no problem with driving- i know theres a few places right over by Duvall in snohomish
the Skagit and Stillwater wildlife areas are the closest to me- anyone been there?
i appriciate any ideas
thanks!
Old 04-01-2005, 12:03 AM

Cheetoboy, I know exactly what you mean about the antis can't stand them. ThrowingStarr made a good point about getting out and driving logging roads etc. that will be alot of your available land. But one place I drove through a while back was the Cle Elum area looked real promising and only about 30 or so miles East on Hwy 90. Maybe you can check that out it will be a little less brushy over there also. Sorry but I don't hunt much up around seattle I am more of the southern puget sound and SE washington hunter. I would check that out myself but it is more like 110 or 120+ miles for me I have alot of scouting to do more local at this time. Drive over to there or somewhere and start by finding yourself a forest farming area or some national forest get you brother and start filling tags. Good luck Cheetoboy. Hopefully this will help you a little.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:22 AM

Cheetoboy I mis typed I meant I hunt SW washington mostly.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:53 PM

http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/seasons.htm

The only season open here in Washington is coyote, a very tough first hunt. The Turkey season starts April 15th. Then you are out of luck until Sept. I like to stump hunt with blunts to improve my distance estimation and scout at the same time. There are a lot of areas available and the website above is linked to show you all the public lands and recreation areas. Don't overlook your local game managment office. I have found most of them to be very knowledgable and willing to help out. I hunt a little in the North puget sound but I usually drive to central WA. Every time I run into a hiker in Western Wa, I have to have a political debate about conservation and animal populations. The antis tend to be emotional and rairly rational. Find a hunting buddy. It adds to the experience. Good luck and welcome to the ranks.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:10 PM

hey thanks alot for all the advice!
im just gettin started so i appriciate everything
thanks for the link too
i'll be sure and post something when i finally get out there
Craig