Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 need good outfitter for bowhunting bears? >

need good outfitter for bowhunting bears?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

need good outfitter for bowhunting bears?

Old 03-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Default need good outfitter for bowhunting bears?

wanted to know if anyone knows a good outfitter in Maine. i want too take my wife as a non-hunter.she loves too fish, so if i could find somewhere where she could fish while i hunt in the afternoon that would be great. if anyone has any contacts i would apreciate it very much
Old 03-24-2005, 07:58 PM

Default RE: need good outfitter for bowhunting bears?

I went to Maine just last fall. We used PB guide service. His set up was good and pretty much a turn key deal. I seen bear every night. The only down fall was Maine was in the process of possibly banning bait/bear hunting so this guide crammed a bunch of hunters in to camp thinking it was his last year for making money. I think there was a total of 55 hunters and 53 killed bear. Cabins where good enough and food was very good. All you could eat lobster the first night. The biggest bear killed was 350 and the average was 150-200. I would use this guide service again without hesitation. Good luck.
Old 03-24-2005, 08:02 PM

About the fishing, I know there is a lake nearby and his camp sits right on the river at the border. I dont know the regulations for fishing that.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have hunted at Viking Lodge in Manitoba the last 2 years and I am going back again this year. The first year I waited on a big bear and the only big one I saw was after good shooting light. I did shoot a young bear the last night and saw several bears each night except one. Had a great time vedeoing the bears and caught some nice fish as well. The other 2 hunters shot bears the first night and fished the rest of the week. Last year I shot the first bear that came in mainly because it was a chocolate. I sat in the same stand the next night just to see what might show up but saw nothing. The other hunters shot theirs the 2nd & 3rd nights. Both saw bears each night but were unsure of what they wanted to shoot. I haven't seen any really big bears taken but have heard of some real good sightings. Generally bears are hard to judge and you should have plenty of opprotunities. You can do a search for them using the name or I believe their email address is [email protected] Last time I talked to them they had openings for the first week of season. The only down side to that is that sometimes the ice is still on the lakes the last week of May-unusal but possible. I will be going up memorial day weekend myself and look forward to having a good time. Its a pretty long drive-something over 400 miles north of Winnipeg near the town of Cranberry Portage. If contact them tell them that Ray refered you. It won't help but it can't hurt. Good luck. By the way that first year we caught several master angler pike-over 42". The lakes are catch and release on the larger fish so the fishing stays pretty good considering it is a drive to place. Good luck and let me know how you do if you go.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:16 PM

thanks for the info.mitch and kansas. going to start my homework. i cant go this year but trying to arrange something for next year.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:17 PM

hey mitch, does pb have a website?
Old 03-25-2005, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have also used PB guide service, very sucessfully, I might add. He has a great operation, high bear rate, and excellant food. The week I was there 10 kills for 11 hunters. The guy who didn't get a bear passed several.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:55 PM

web site is pbguideservice.com.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Mike 838...

I am very good friends with the owner of Great Outdoors Guide Service located in Bridgton Maine....he hunts somewhere between Bangor and Millinockett with Excellent percentages. Last year he took 16 clients with a success rate of like 92-3% or so with the "unsuccessful" client missing and wounding a bear. He has a very good camp cook and is very serious about his bears, and I highly recommend him

[email protected] is his email address and his webpage is currently being fixed http://www.greatoutdoorsguideservice.com