Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum? >

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

not me
Old 03-17-2005, 08:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think cornfed pretty much summed it up for me as well.

If AR's were put in place I wouldn't complain but I don't think they would solve the problems of people shooting yearlings either.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:52 AM

I don't think making laws is the answer although I would love to see hunters in my area allow smaller immature animals to grow a couple of years before shooting them.

IL, you make some great points. Ar's can be useful but they can also be counter productive by weeding out the best of the gene pool while providing other "lesser" animals protection.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

It's definately education and self control. I've noticed in the past few years that people in my area are really starting to jump on the QDM bandwagon. They always willing to take does and most won't shoot anything smaller than a 120 in. 8 pt. Granted there are some young ones around that shoot anything that comes past but we were all at that point earlier in our lives. I think that with all the talk in magazines, tv, and the interenet about letting young ones grow, people are starting to really catch on. I don't think there is a need for AR.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

we have it here in Western Pa, although alot complain. I love it.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:17 AM

in an earlier post somebody said "it will do nothing for the deer heard just look at pa" hahaah yea just look at us about a 300% increase in deer over 100 inches from 4 years ago when the antler restriceions started THEY WORK AND THEY WORK BIGTIME!! our deer heard is in the best shape its ever been in
Old 03-17-2005, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like it in PA. It is very unpopular, but I think it's been a great success.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

In theory it sounds good and at this point in my life I wouldn't shoot anything less UNLESS it was a buck that appeared to be on his way down hill or a genetically inferior deer. This is something each bow hunter needs to police themselves. In the case of a beginning hunter, I would want them to have the latitude to shoot what ever they are comfortable with and allow them to enjoy the satisfaction of a good harvest. There is nothing like it. In short for various reasons I would be opposed to laws regulating what the individual hunter or land owner wants to take. Leave it to the individuals.
Old 03-17-2005, 04:31 PM

i like how it is set up in pa 12-16 shoot any buck and 17^ 3 or more. i would be happy if they made it 4 or more. even though i am only 15 last year i would only shoot a buck if it had 4 or more points. however my first three years i kill spikes, and decided to wait it out and if i didn't get a buck big enough they would be bigger next season. and on the last week of bow i killed a 17" 6pt. with good mass. next years buck will have to be bigger or i won't shoot.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

In NY we had a 30% decrease in hunters which in turn lead to an equal decrease in the amount of deer taken (got this from the NY DEC websight)... Now I have three kids.. If one of my kids get's into hunting I'll be happy!! But if they restricted us to 4 points on one side and my kid was denied a shot at a 2X2 I myself would be upset... This Idea seem's to be a nice IDEA but has it's pitfall's too..........

I think it was said in another thread that you should raise your standards every time you get a deer.. It comes down to just educating your young so they will raise the bar higher each time they get a deer... IE: my kid gets a 2X2 I sit him/her down and tell the kid next time you should try for a 3x3 or better....... But taking a doe is still a good thing!! Just have fun doing it!!! I bet the first deer the kid get's even if it's a spike will be the best one they will ever think of...

Quick Reply: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.