Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum? >

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

Old 03-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who is in favor of 4points on atleast one side minimum?

ORIGINAL: Mattiac

In my home state of NJ, we are allowed to harvest up to SIX bucks a year.

Have a good one---Matt

WOW..... 6 BUCKS per season!!! That is obviously a MAJOR problem right there! I couldn't imagine how crushed our deer (Buck) herd would be here in IL after only a season or two if everone could shoot up to 6 yearlings!! You guys MUST fight to get that changed! I have actually questioned sometimes IF our 2 Buck limit here in IL waas to much at times??? I guess I should be thankful that it isn't more! [:-]
Old 03-25-2005, 12:49 PM

HAHAHA.....I wish I could get it down to two!

I would be much happier with one or two at best.

Three is the number Im striving for now. The state doesnt want too few tags because it would further reduce the amount of licenses sold. And some hunters complain that they need the six bucks per year.

Now you see what Im up against. Its greed on both sides!

Id rather get ONE big buck every two years or more, than several small ones. Shooting does for meat when need be.

Luckily NJ is headed in the right direction with the doe herd. Offering unlimited does in certain areas, and Earn-a-buck in more select areas.
This alone has showed a small increase in bucks, and their size and age.

So do you think I should just push for a reduction in buck tags?

Or should I push for a reduction, AND antler restrictions (4pt)?

I was leaning towards both, for the fact that most of our young deer are six points. Really speeding up the results. However, it may be easier to get hunters to embrace less tags, rather than both. Trying to change their attitudes through other avenues.

We can discuss the attitude change further...but Ill let you go with the two questions above for now.

Have a good one--Matt
Old 03-26-2005, 12:57 AM

I'm still a meat hunter,thats why I hunt. I'd kill a big buck and have but I like eating the younger ones. Anti's argument is we have enough meat available with out killing it,well Trophy hunting is telling them that their right. People hunted to feed their familys years ago-they knew you couldn't eat the horns. In Illinois 15 years ago you never herd someone say they killed a 180 class buck they talked about the weight or how big the body was. Now its hard to find a place to hunt there that a outfitter don't have leased. Trophy hunting has almost wiped deer hunting out for the person who can't afford a lease or to pay a outfitter. What a shame to be so vaine.
Old 03-26-2005, 05:36 AM

WV,

Just curious, but would you be opposed to the rules I outlined above?
I only ask, because I havent been able to get the opinion of many meat hunters.

I dont know what your current regs are where you live, but NJ is too liberal with buck tags.

We currently get 6 with no size limit.

If you lived here; would you be opposed to recieving three buck tags, no matter what weapon you hunt with? (most areas allow unlimited doe harvests, so meat shouldnt be a problem)

Still assuming you lived here; would you be opposed to receiving those three buck tags, now two of them having a 4pt antler restriction?

While you make some good points, we should stray from the "we hunt for meat" reasons thrown at the antis. The antis want to shut us down whether we are hunting for meat, recreation, sound management, etc. Your right, having a good reason helps the general public accept us. Managing the wildlife to a healthy, socially balanced herd, is one of the best reasons. Its based on science, rather than emotion or ideals. Therefore it can stand up to their arguments better.

Dont get me wrong! I know some people honestly do hunt because they need meat. I used to be one of them, but some recreational hunters confuse wanting and needing meat.

I dont think we should ever hunt with the intentions of killing only for antlers. We cant forget that these animals are magnificent, and that they deserve every ounce of their meat to go to good use.

BUT, we cant let the agenda of the antis stand in our way of sound game management. They will stand in our way NO MATTER what. So lets do it the way we want, and prove to the general public, we have everyones best interest in mind!

Have a good one---Matt