Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back Tension??

Old 03-13-2005, 04:35 PM

Default Back Tension??

Does anyone use these for hunting, i just picked one up today and played around with it in the backyard and i like it pretty well but i still got some practice to do cause im not really used to it yet, i know a lot of people use them for targets but i dont know of anyone that used them for hunting.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back Tension??

what kind did u get? can you pull back more poundage with one?
Old 03-13-2005, 05:07 PM

It is actually easier to draw my bow with this then it was with my wrist release.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I use back tension no matter where I'm shooting or what I'm shooting at and I do it with a caliper release (wrist release as you called it). If a surprise release makes you a better shot when target shooting then why not use it hunting also. I just speed up the shot sequence when hunting.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:09 PM

I use the same back tension release for targets and hunting. It is a Carter with a trigger so I use it as a back tension all the time but when the moment of truth comes when shooting at a live deer I could squeeze the trigger if necessary. Since I never conciously squeeze the trigger I have no anticipation so occasionally squeezing the trigger in a hunting situation still results in a great shot with none of the problems normally associated with punching a release.

Once you learn to shoot back tension properly you will never want to go back to a normal release.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:59 PM

I'm planning on going on my first hunt with my back tension later this spring for hogs. With the longer shot sequence that comes with a back tension release, it helps you to focus on aiming at the deer and I believe it will make me more calm when the moment of truth comes.

I use a carter hunter.
Old 03-13-2005, 08:05 PM

This is my first time using one so...i broke an arrow lost an arrow and got left with a bruise or two, but im starting to get the hang of it and i really like it so far, The one i got is a carrter rope release, im not real sure what its worth or anything but i saw one on ebay for about 30 bucks and i payed 15 so i think it was a deal this one is not mine but its the sasme model.

Old 03-13-2005, 08:13 PM

yes big buck that is a "tru backtension" trigger releases are not true back tension releases, also it will make you a better shooter if you learn to shoot it, i personally dont use one for hunting but know a few guys who do and suprisingly have no problem with it, i shoot a tru ball BT gold 4 finger and i couild hunt with it i think but will proly just use the short and sweet come october!