Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

aluminum

Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: aluminum

I shot aluminums for 20 years. Loved 'em and still have a LOT of 2315's in my garage. When I bought my last bow, the shop owner talked me into buying CX Terminator Selects. He said they recovered faster and offered the best comination of speed yet enough weight for good penetration. I shoot completely through nearly every deer I hit -- did the same thing with aluminums too. The carbons do seem to be more durable though--they either break or return to straight. Once I bent aluminums, I wasn't very good at correcting the problem.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been shooting carbons (CX-hunters) for about 3 years.
I was also talked into trying them by a proshop I trust when I bought a new bow and the aluminums I had weren't the right spine for it.

They do seem to be more durable, and about 10 fps faster than alums with my setup, but I'm not sure the cost outweighs the reasons I like the alloy shafts.
I'm going back to aluminums (Easton 2315 XX75's or XX78's) before Fall for several reasons (in no particular order).

(1) They are cheaper, and just as straight.

(2) I can do all the assembly and repair work myself without an expensive high-speed saw.

(3) I want to be able to recover my arrows after shooting at a 3-D target without swearing in front of the kids.
(No I'm not going to pay extra for a bottle of lube and then still have to wrestle them out using a pulling tool).

(4) They seem to be quieter during the draw. The texture on carbons seems to make a bit more noise on the rest.

(5) I like the larger outside diameter so I can make use of a 5" helical fletching and still get clearance.
This is important to me since I release with my fingers and am therefore limited in my choice of rests.

That said, it's a personal decision , and I don't fault anybody for using carbons.
I just like the aluminums for me.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

I thought it was very interesting that so many of us are shooting the 2315's.
With all of the different draw lengths, weights, cam types, point weights, arrow lengths, and the fact that the 2315 is pretty heavy for it's 'J' class spine, you wouldn't think it would be so popular.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

killer243 I shoot aluminum only. I did the deal with carbons and will not use them for hunting. I'll stick with my XX78's in 2514.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I shoot only carbon arrows and these are the reasons why.

#1... Carbon fiber arrows do not flex as much as aluminum does. This translates into more of the bows energy being transfered into the arrow shaft. This also aids in penetration in an animal... less flexing means more energy being transfered into the animal in line with the direction of the arrows travel.

#2... Carbon reacts quicker to any flexing that it encounters. This also aids in more energy being transfered into the shaft. And again it also aids in penetration on animals because the shaft is not fighting side to side flexing and friction as it is penetrating into the animal.

#3... Carbon is more durable than aluminum. Little side smacks from other arrows will not damage the shaft nearly as easily as it will an aluminum shaft. It will also take alot more side force to make the shaft unuseable where as the aluminum shaft is much easier bent.

#4... A typical carbon is skinnier than an aluminum of the same spine. This lessens the effect of crossing winds. Less surface area for the wind to act upon. Skinnier shafts also create less linear drag aiding in more retained downrange speed and energy (assuming the same weights). Skinnier shafts also greatly aid in penetration inside an animal. Less friction through muscle and bone = more penetration.

#5... Carbon arrows will spine correctly over a broader range of draw weights and tip weights than an aluminum shaft will. This will allow me to tinker a little with out having to purchase new arrows.

#6... Many more options to work with when dealing with carbon shafts. One can choose a super light shaft for 3D and then use a much heavier shaft for hunting and still have the corect spine. They are available in a much broader range of weights for the same spine than aluminum.

#7... There are so many more carbon manufacturers to choose from. There is something for everyone.