Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bow elbow tendinitis? >

Bow elbow tendinitis?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bow elbow tendinitis?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Default Bow elbow tendinitis?

Was wondering if anyone else has ever gone through a bout of elbow tendenitis(ie tennis elbow)?

I developed it in early fall. Not really sure how I got it. Know I at least compounded it by shooting my bow through what started as minor pain. By late season's end my elbow was hurting bad. Went to the doc a couple of times in between. He cortisoned it, and suggested therapy and exercise.

After a couple month's of rest and therapy I thought I was doing pretty well. Then about 2 weeks ago I picked up a hunk of fire wood and had a pain shoot through my whole forearm. Resting it again, and the pain is reduced to almost gone.

What I know is that if I start drawing my bow now it will start all over again. Its starting to scare me for next fall already. On top of that I have a brand new bow I can't even shoot.

Any other archers been through this? If so, what find of therapy or exercises worked for you? And how long did the sucker take to heal?
Old 02-08-2005, 08:33 PM

Default RE: Bow elbow tendinitis?

Ice and advil is what the doctor told me to do when I had it my bow shoulder which would sometimes shoot down to my elbow too. Ice, rest and advil. Also stretching for shoulder, probably a way to stretch the elbow too but wait until it starts feeling better. Than warm it up slowly before using it hard and build it up slow too. If the problem persits however I would think you should see a doctor...

I had tenis elbow when I was a kid once. I actually think what I did back than was wrap the elbow and ice it and rest it but I don't think I shut it down really except no practice...
Old 02-08-2005, 08:33 PM
Dominant Buck

I had it and got it from moving big logs and favoring my other arm. I was worried about it for fishing and hunting. It turns out for me only surf fishing really was a problem. Heaving those big rods caused a major problem. I recommend you get an elbow brace. That allows me to cast without issue. Not the one that's a strap but the one that goes around your whole elbow. That should do the trick for you.
Old 02-09-2005, 03:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have had it and to a small degree still do. I fight it off with rest, exercise, and diet. I did have to have some surgery before a hunting trip last year, 3 days in bed being pumped full of liquids. I don't know if it was what they removed, the rest or the liquids and antibiotics but I left felling better than I had in 20 years.
Be patient, "this too will pass". I have the same problem with firewood as you and others have expressed. Isn't that funny.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Dominant Buck

Are you possibly practising too much ,
or overbowed , or both ?
Pain is Nature's way of telling you to lighten up , perhaps you should if you wish to keep on bow hunting .
Old 02-09-2005, 06:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Any other archers been through this? If so, what find of therapy or exercises worked for you? And how long did the sucker take to heal?
Yes, I have it. The advise of ice and anti-inflamitories is good. Also, if you are shooting an agressive type cam consider moving to eccentric wheels or traditional. Consider lowering the poundage of the bow, and also consider changing your practice patterns. Don't shoot everyday and turn your pattern to total quality practice instead of quantity. Try to never pull back the bow and let it down without firing it (or course never draw at all without an arrow nocked).

I had an aggressive single cam that I believe started my tendonitis and definetely agravated it. I moved to a different bow and the problem has almost gone away.

One other thing, tendonitis does not heal.

One other thing, my tendonitis acts up if I sleep on my shoulder the wrong way. I have to make sure that I don't sleep on that side with my arm extended past my head. - Just a note.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Cortisone is probably the best thing, being that it is just about the strongest anti inflamitory known to man.

combined with moderation (of use) and rest.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got it once from trying to unscrew a weed line trimmer head (cutting trails). It was aggrevated by doing hang-on stands and bow hunting. It bothered me for almost two years. Every time it felt like I had gotten better it would get re-injured. Not a sharp pain but a strong ache. Man I'm glad I'm over that. Good luck to you.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:42 PM

I had tendinitis in my elbow when I pitched for a baseball team. It would hurt after the game and finally got to the point where I had to quit baseball. I rested it for about a year but it finally got better and now I dont feel any pain when drawing a bow but after playing catch for awhile it comes back.

Good luck, I would turn your bow down and if it hurts to draw it, don't do it. It will probably make things worse.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:38 PM

Cortisone injections would be great if it wasn't for the long term side effects associated with taking them, mainly, weaking of the tendon. Tendonities is a real joy when it gets all inflammed and starts getting reagravated by rubbing in the joint. I had something similiar happen to my knee when I was a youngun and I was given two options. Surgery or rehab. Rehab was electric shocks to the knee and ultrasound + a mega antiinflamatory and ice.. Oh and a big knee brace. Eventually the swelling went down and everything popped back into place (This might have been a ligament thinking back) and the friction in the joint went away. Haven't had a problem for 15 years now. Same as the right elbow. Was real bad, ice, advil and a brace and some rest and haven't had a problem since. You just gotta take care of the joint that is having the problem a little bit better. Go online and find Archer stretches. They help a LOT.

Quick Reply: Bow elbow tendinitis?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.