Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Is 1 inch DIAMETER enough? >

Is 1 inch DIAMETER enough?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Is 1 inch DIAMETER enough?

Old 02-07-2005, 06:52 AM

Default Is 1 inch DIAMETER enough?

I recently bought some Sonic 125's, they look like a very tough and well built broadhead. Trouble is they also look pretty small.

There are quite a few small diameter heads out there right now Boss Bullet, Sonic , and Rocket Ultimate Steel. Has anyone had( or heard of) lack of blood trail or lost animals due to smaller wound channel.

http://americanbroadhead.com/
Old 02-07-2005, 07:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Is 1 inch DIAMETER enough?

I cannot speak from a vast amount of experience with this issue though I was able to use one of the smaller cutting diameter heads on the market (Rocket Ultimate Steel) to take a nice doe this past season. I had no problem with the blood trail or recovering the deer. It is a fine little head in my opinion.

I have also recently had the chance to get a sample of the Sonic head you made reference to and plan on trying it out shortly. I do sincerely think that the new style of smaller, replacement blade broadheads provide an excellent alternative to some of the other choices out there.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Has anyone had( or heard of) lack of blood trail or lost animals due to smaller wound channel.
A high shot on an animal with a smaller broadhead has given problems following blood trails--as the bleeding occurs internally.
However don't be mislead about the cutting diameter of the smaller broadheads--the entrance wound isn't very alarming--but I can tell you the 'exit' laceration is a different story--quite a nasty wound.
Nevertheless, the smaller heads do get the job done, the SteelHead expandables and the Slick Trick fixed blades are two of the smaller heads I've used, both of them with good success.
Put that arrow where's it's supposed to go and that animal will not go far from your stand.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:35 AM

I will be using them on Moose (I only shoot 27 inch draw at 75 pounds) by using these heads I am pretty sure can extend my shooting range out to 50-60 yards. In the past I always limited myself to inside of 40 yards to insure passthrough shot.

Got a passsthrough on large bull 2 years ago at 20 yards with Wasp Hammer SST 125. 1 blade on the Wasp was rolled over and another was dulled pretty good. Contacted ribs on way in and out.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

corey006, I think you would be wise to keep your limit to 40 yards, anything over 50 yards is just asking for trouble IMHO.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 AM

If I can keep my groups tighter than 5 inchs at 50 yards I will not hestitate to take a 55 yard shot at a bull moose. They do not react to the shot like a deer and the kill zone is 20 inches.

Not a problem for me...
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Fork Horn

I use the Rocket Ultimate Steel 100 gr heads. I was concerned about the smaller diameter cutting surface at first but I love those heads now. They fly exactly like field points for me and group very well. That, to me, is more important than making a big hole...I would rather be more precise with shot placement.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:26 PM

If your going to shoot a moose I would go to an 1and 1/4 inch head..The other thing with moose is that you should easyily get within 40 yards of a moose..I've stalked within 10 yards of moose just to see how close I could get while elk hunting..Thats part of the game right???See how close you can get.. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:41 PM

They have listed some of their clients on the website with kills on Moose and Caribou(with the Sonic 125) and I think Rocket has pictures of Hippo's and Rhino's taken with there Ultimate Steel.

One thing you have to remember is that with a larger diameter head 1 blade is surely to contact ribs on the way in thus dulling it to the point where it would not cut an artery.

Like I said before the Wasp Hammer SST I used 2 years ago on a large bull had 1 blade rolled and another dulled quite bad. At best I had 1 good blade, 1 that was so-so and 1 that was almost useless.

Like Rangerstud said, "shot palcement is the key" if you do not hit him right it doesn't matter if you broadhead is 1" or 1 3/16".
Old 02-07-2005, 03:15 PM

ORIGINAL: elkcrazedfrk

If your going to shoot a moose I would go to an 1and 1/4 inch head..The other thing with moose is that you should easyily get within 40 yards of a moose..I've stalked within 10 yards of moose just to see how close I could get while elk hunting..Thats part of the game right???See how close you can get.. Good luck.
Yeah, when you weren't hunting them. Try getting that close when you've got a moose tag in your pocket! [:-]