Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Resharpening broadheads >

Resharpening broadheads

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Resharpening broadheads

Old 09-07-2002, 09:33 AM

Default Resharpening broadheads

I'm new to the world of non replaceable broadhead blades and was wondering what is the best way to resharpen the blades.I'm shooting steelforce sabertooth lock down with bleeder blades.Do I replace the bleeders and sharpen the main blades or sharpen both?Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2002, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Resharpening broadheads

Mike, with stainless heads like the Steelforce, I think a pocket diamond hone is best. Just follow the original edge bevel on the main blades, just like sharpening a pocketknife. Bleeders can often be touched up with that same hone, but not always. They are meant to be expendable anyway.

Of course you know that Steelforce will sharpen the heads for you if you mail them back with a service fee.
Old 09-07-2002, 12:51 PM

Arthur P thanks for the info.I was looking at the Redi-edge sharpner in the cabelas archery catalog with the carbon carbide cutter heads.What do you think of that choice?

Old 09-07-2002, 04:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think the Redi-edge is great for softer steels on the less expensive heads, like the Bear Razorhead. I'm not sure how well it would work with cutlery grade steel like Steelforce uses. If you prefer a tool like that, I'd be more inclined to go with something like the Firestone right above the Redi-edge on that page, with it's ceramic wheels.

A lot of folks are using the Lansky sharpening system and are getting good results with it. If I didn't prefer sharpening freehand, that is what I'd use.
Old 09-07-2002, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dont get the carbide sharpeners they are junk wont put an edge on anything Ive tryed them on

If information provided by the members of this board have helped you please let us know .
Old 09-07-2002, 09:00 PM

Thanks again for the info.Now I have another question.What do you need to do about the serrated part of the blade? Yes the information I recieve on this board has been very helpful.

Old 09-08-2002, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

MIKEB; Steel Force Sabertooth Broadheads come with a free lifetime resharpening( the main blades not the bleeder blades ) during the off season Jan-June. For up to 9 heads the cost for the return postage is $3.75 and to replace the bleeder blades is $i.25 for each broadhead . Allow 3 weeks for delivery.