Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Resharpening expandibles? >

Resharpening expandibles?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Resharpening expandibles?

Old 10-28-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Resharpening expandibles?

Is it posible to resharpen expandibles? Or do you have to buy new blades for them? The expandible i was looking at was the NAP Spitfire 100grains. any comments on that please also leave advise.

Thanks much.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Resharpening expandibles?

Personally I wouldn't attempt at resharpening replacable blades either on expandables or fixed blade heads. I don't feel the replacement costs are too high for the sharpness quality. Unless your extremely talented and there may be a few, you won't get them as sharp as they should be. IMO.

Stock up on new replacements and use the used blades for practice.

The rule I like to follow is "One shot and the blades are done for hunting purposes. "
Old 10-29-2005, 07:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've attempted it, and like Rob said, unless you're more talented than I am, it's not worth it. Or maybe it's just the time involved -- it's a more efficient use of my time to just buy replacements and spend the hours I would have needed attempting to re-sharpen the old blades practicing, piddling, or something...
Old 10-29-2005, 08:13 AM
Typical Buck

I use my Lansky on all blades that allow it and that need it, and I typically gravitate towards heads that have blades that allow me to sharpen or touch up. It's not that I'm cheap and wouldn't buy replacement blades, it is just that some (most)of the heads I shoot I don't feel have sharp enough blades out of the box in the first place, and the two heads I am using this season need it. Some would ask why do you buy heads that don'thave sharp enough heads in the first place and for whatthey cost shouldn't they be sharp outof thebox. The answer is that I bought these heads for other reasons, namely design characteristics, and the second questions answere is - yes they should.But they aren't sharp enough for me, so I resharpen.

I have hadthe best lucksharpeningfixed broadhead blades with theLansky. Idid try tosharpen the blades from my Innerloc EXP heads (expandables),that I use for turkey,the other day and it was not difficult, but those were the first expandable blades that I have attempted. When choosing a mechanical for turkey, Iconsidered the Spitfires first because I like the no-o-ring designs and the NAP blade sharpness, but I like the blade replacementsystem of the EXP over the little screws used for the Spitfires.

There are only a few heads that I feel are sharp enough out of the package to hunt with, but I am a fanatic when it comes to sharpness.

NAP and Rocky are the best all around at having sharp blades out of the package hands down when it comes to consistantly having so for every model of head. I would feel absolutely comfortable buying, and not resharpening but replacing, blades for the Spitfire. I have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that they would be sharp enough to hunt with out of the box. There is no need to do it for that head, just by the blades.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:27 AM

I use a Lansky Sharpner and it gets them razor sharp with little effort.

Old 10-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same problem as you, muzzy100...with the exact same broadhead (mine are the XP's though). All the local stores are sold out of the replacements...so I've had to resharpen mine. I've killed 3 deer with all 3 broadheads..within the past 4 weeks. Cleaning them off and sharpening them can be a pain.