Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What makes a good outfitter? >

What makes a good outfitter?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What makes a good outfitter?

Old 02-02-2005, 07:24 AM

Default What makes a good outfitter?

Hey there fellow sportsmen and women. I know there are many of you every year who spend hard earned money on an outfitter. I as an outfitter would like to know what , in your opinion keeps you coming back to a particular outfitter or regoin of the United States? I was wondering what sets others apart from the plethera of hunts available today? I know I return to Pike County Illinois every year to hunt with Baycreek Outdoors because the outfitters go out of thier way to make you feel welcome. They make me feel like a friend and not just another client. Not to mention the potential for monster bucks!!!
I was just wondering how other hunters throughout the States feel on this subject. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:11 AM

Default RE: What makes a good outfitter?

I like an outfitter who seems to appreciate that you spent your good hard earned money to hunt with him. I like a guide who is knowledgeable about the type of hunt you are on, but not a know it all that makes you feel like you are a total rookie that has never been hunting. If the accomodations are dry, warm and comfortable i'm fine. I don't need the Hilton on a hunt. But most of all, i want to see some game. I don't have to make a kill, but i do want to know that what he's selling me is an honest opportunity. I know alot of factors determine what you might see, i can deal with bad weather and not seeing alot. But don't tell me about all this private land he has and then have hunters from other camps hunting all around me. That's a sure bet i won't book with him again. Just be honest with what he has and i'll be satisfied.
Old 02-02-2005, 11:37 AM

yes i also agree, the biggest thing is that i see game and have an ample oppertunity to take the game that im after, for instance early season illinois bowhunts alot of outfitters will know ecaclty wehre the deer are coming through and you sit there in the same stand each night and wathc them at abou 70 yds, and when you ask to move the stand the guide gives you some bull**** that the stands are in certain locations for reasons and you can not move them, but just a fair honest hunt!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

-Honesty
-Animals around
-personality

I have only been on a couple of guided hunts and went back for my second elk hunt over one that might have had hihger elk counts. Why? I trusted the outfitter since I hunted with him once and everything was exactly like he said it was. Additionally its run by him, his wife (cooking etc) and son, and they are VERY nice people and fun to chat with and very willing to put up with me and my questions Additionally his guides fall right in line and are easy to get along with. This is important, you will be spending 10 hours a day with the guide. YOu better get along!

--Bob
Old 02-02-2005, 12:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

-Honesty - (do what you say you are going to do and don't do what you tell me you won't do, if you try to back door me on anything or in anyway then I'm spending my money somewhere else next year and telling everyone that I can get the word out to the kind of experience that I had)
-Animals around - I want to hunt quality properties but you need to factually represent your property. Remember you're eventually going to have to back up your talk with and actual hunt and while sometimes the animals just don't cooperate, many times the properties are billed as something they aren't. You obviously want to entice people to your property but if you can't back up the claims you make then they aren't coming back next year. On the other hand if you make reasonable claims and they see a reasonable amount of game then they have gained faith in your word and will most likely return.
-Hospitatlity - just do what you tell me and treat me like you would want to be treated if it were your hunt

I think many outfitters get caught up in the all mighty dollar instead of a quality hunting experience. It doesn't make any difference what type of hunt you are offering you need to approach it as what would you expect if it were you paying the $. You aren't ever going to please everyone that's just life. But if you make an honest, good faith effort, and don't mis-represent your property, then I will book with you again in the future and I will recommend you to everyone that I know and try to get you as much business as I possibly can.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:38 PM

I have yet to book a hunt with an outfitter, but I have started researching and talking with a few places for an elk hunt I am hoping to book for the 2006 season. Since I will basically be sacrificing 2 years worth of recreational money to do something I have dreamed about for years, I am being VERY picky. I can tell you what I am looking for in those initial contacts.

- A feeling of honesty. Don't promise me the moon for a nickle, be up front and willing to talk about dollars, success rates, etc. Be specific, don't give general answers to specific questions.

- Ask questions about me. If you are asking about my desires for the hunt, my previous experience, equipment, etc, I will feel like you are interested in me as a hunter and a client. Those things make me feel like you are going to be honest with me about my potential on the hunt, and are going to be sharing your opinions and knowledge.

- References. The more the better. If you have 3-4 former clients that I can contact to talk about your service that's okay. If you have a list of 100 people that are happy and willing to talk to me about you I will be impressed. It's easy to keep 3-4 people happy, keeping a good reputation with a larger number of people says a lot about you and your business.

- A good on-line reputation. Not perfect, I understand that all it takes is 1 a-hole to make you look like a looser on-line. But if half the people that mention you on forums like this have negative or borderline things to say about your services I'll pass.

- Consistency. When I talk to you on Thursday I should get the same answers that I got on Monday. If your answers are always different, or the package changes, or the features you talk about are different in different contacts I will doubt your honesty. If I doubt your honesty I am out.

Make me feel important. A follow-up contact(low pressure, just a nice talking to you, let me know if I can help with any other questions, thing) makes me feel like my money is important to you. Taking my questions seriously does the same thing. If I ask a dumb, rookie question, and you make me feel like it is a dumb, rookie question, I'm out.

What type of outfit do you run? If you are an Elk guy and are taking the time to ask these questions then you are already the type of businessman I am interested in talking to.