Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Warts or moles on deer? >

Warts or moles on deer?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Warts or moles on deer?

Old 01-31-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Warts or moles on deer?

I was blessed to take a cowhorn spike this weekend that was old and needed to be taken out of the heard. Shot him with a crimson raptor. It was awesome. He was facing away from me quartered slightly to the left. I shot him approx. 4 inches behind the left shoulder and it came out but did not exit in front of his right shoulder. I dont know if you guys would consider that a good shot but he ran only 30 yards & died. I was shooting my tomkat set @ 70lbs. The shot was from 20 yards away from 30 feet up in a tree. This is my second deer to harvest this year with my bow since starting bowhunting this year & I am hooked. The bummer is that after I got to him I noticed his right eye was COVERED with warts or moles. Black and brown in color. The other deer I took was back in Oct. (An adult doe) & she had 5 huge black moles or warts over her face. These were killed in the same area. Within 5 miles of each other. Have any of you guys seen this. I showed several people the areas & half told me it was nothing but moles, that they themselves had killed deer with stuff like that on them and that they normally just didnt eat the part that the mole was on & the other half said they didnt eat it at all. Well I have a wife and 2 kids @ home that all love venison & not knowing what it really was I didnt use the meat. It would be different if it was just me eating it but I would feel horrible if they got sick over it. Whats ya'lls opinion. Thanks
Old 01-31-2005, 11:28 AM

Default RE: Warts or moles on deer?

Like this.........? They say it is ok to eat the meat. The virus is only skin deep. Personally, I would not, but that's just me.

Old 01-31-2005, 11:38 AM

Yes, double creek that exactly what they looked like but they were only smaller. I'm like you I'm not going to eat it either. If the virus is only skin deep it is still being supplied by blood, & blood flows through the whole body. Nothing probably would happen if you did eat it but I ain't taken the chance. I just wonder if its hereditary or if its not.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:48 PM

They say it is not heriditary and not contagious. It is some type of virus that is transmitted through insect bites.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:47 PM

could be cwd or madcow desiase
Old 01-31-2005, 02:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Could be Cutaneous Fibromas...... The pic provided in the post looks Very Much like Cutaneous Fibromas, do a search of them on the net there are many photos of them on the net with further info on them and the meat.