Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Moles?

Old 05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Moles?

Hey guys.. we are currently having a huge problem with moles tearing up our food plots right now. Does anyone have any ways or ideas to help get rid of these suckers?

Other than dynamite?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Moles?

I have never tried it, but i have heard that if you bury empty beer bottles around the area you want to protect, it drives the moles out. Supposedly you bury the beer bottles so just the top is sticking out of the ground. I hear that when the wind goes over the mouth of the bottle, it produces vibrations in the bottle and ground that the moles cant stand. My neighbor has tried this cause he had mosed ripping up his yard and he says it works.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

the beer bottles and the vibration stakes will work for a little bit, but once they get accostomed to it they will be back. The only true fire way to get rid of them is with traps. then once you kill them off others will move in. It will be an uphill battle. you have to hit them hard and stay on them. Also when you purchase trap also purchase traps for pocket gophers. I actually had both in my yard and I wondered why I couldnt trap a few of them. Finally my wifes chihuahua's dug one up so I could get a look at one...... I also made a pvc contraption that would dump bleach and amonia down into thier runs. When the two are mixed it puts off a harsh gas. It seemed to work for a few weeks but once they came back it seemed like they tunneled in more areas. So I dont think it was that effective. I wish you the best,I waged war on them for years and I never got rid of them.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use road flares for my yard. Light them and put them in every hole. I'm not sure if it kills them or forces them to move. Gl
Old 05-08-2008, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: RockinChair

Hey guys.. we are currently having a huge problem with moles tearing up our food plots right now. Does anyone have any ways or ideas to help get rid of these suckers?

Other than dynamite?
Those little bird things that the wings spin.

I causes vibration in the ground and they will leave and not come back.

It works

JMHO
Old 05-11-2008, 09:59 PM

m-80s, or something to that effect will scarethem off for a little while, also try dog crap, alot of it not just 1 turd but a whole pile put it down every hole they have then cover it up, they wont dig threw it so if you keep it up they'll move on
Old 05-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am at war for the second year in a row, Last year I killed 24 moles in my yard from july-late octber, I set out my first two traps last week and I have one kill. I must have put the hurting on them last year because I have not noticed many runs so far. Now I know it is early in the season and I have to say I am looking forward to the fight. I have a big bag of Grub killer, 3 traps, 3 boxes of mothballs, and a wind mill. Not to mention that two of my three dog's will try and dig them out of there runs. great that the moles disapear but then I have to patch the grass, ( guess dogs not a great ali )
Old 05-18-2008, 11:53 AM

First find the moles freshest mound. If you want mark all of them then let it sit for a night, next day find the new hole. Scrape all of the dirt off so its flush with the ground. Take your fiunger and poke around close to the middle for the hole. Now dig up the hole with your hand and there should be at least 2 tunnels. Place a small leg hold trap like a #0 in the pathway of the tunnels. Make sure you have dug down enough so the trap sits below the line of the tunnels so the trap isn't blaocking the lane but forces the mole to step right on it. Then get a piece of plywood or something to cover the entire hole to keep it dark. Bank up dirt around the edges to seal off any light. Next day you will have your mole.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

good trick sounds like alot of work though. but if it's a war they want then,,,,
Old 05-19-2008, 08:58 AM
Dominant Buck

The only sure way to get moles to leave is to eliminate their food source, they eat mostly earthworms and grubs, anything that kills those off will leave the moles with nothing to eat. The only other sure thing is trapping them.

Quick Reply: Moles?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.