Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Would you doctor  your mounts??????? >

Would you doctor your mounts???????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Would you doctor your mounts???????

Old 09-06-2002, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Default Would you doctor your mounts???????

I was watching a show the other day that was supporting QDM/QAM and they passed on what they called " A definite Shooter" It was as they say a 5 year old mature buck, exactly what they were looking for- except it had broken off some of it's points in a fight, so they wouldn't shoot it (Which again proves my point- it's not about the age of the deer or the health of the deer or the challenge of the hunt; it's about the size of the mount and the points on the deer) But that got me to thinking- if you are all about the # of points or the size of the antlers- would you take a deer that had busted some tines in a fight? And if you did would you have the antlers doctored to bring it back to it's unbroken status?
I would shoot it- but I think a mount with broken tines would be beautiful. It truly showes a dominant animal with natural "beauty" and character. If you wouldn't shoot it, WHY?
Old 09-06-2002, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Would you doctor your mounts???????

my first buck was broken! And no way am I "growing" his antler back! Its just part the animal!

http://www.geocities.com/tradbow007/...dventures.html
Old 09-06-2002, 07:03 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I was watching a show the other day that was supporting QDM/QAM and they passed on what they called &quot; A definite Shooter&quot; It was as they say a 5 year old mature buck, exactly what they were looking for- except it had broken off some of it's points in a fight, so they wouldn't shoot it (Which again proves my point- it's not about the age of the deer or the health of the deer or the challenge of the hunt; it's about the size of the mount and the points on the deer) <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, if it's what you're in to. Chances are good that the hunter knew he could do better and that's what he wanted. Just because QDM gives the hunter the option of waiting for larger antlers, doesn't mean that's all it's about. It's simply another option if that's what you want.

As for the question on doctoring, I shot one antler off my first buck taken with a shotgun (I had already hit it good, but shot when it was running by. I learned not to do that after this one incident). I always wished I had paid someone to re-attach the antler. Part of it was missing, but I'm sure a good taxidermist could have fixed it. I personally wouldn't &quot;doctor&quot; a naturally broken antler, but I know lots of guys who have. I don't see a problem with it, as long as you're not trying to have the rack scored.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've done it twice now , with an 8pt and a 10pt.

I just like the way a beautiful symetrical 10pt looks compared to a 9pt that &quot;shoulda been a 10pt&quot;. I like to see the buck the way it looked before it busted the tine. If I ever get a narly lookin non-typical that has a broken tine , I'll leave it alone.
To each his own!

&quot;Nocked,cocked & ready to rock&quot;
Old 09-06-2002, 08:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had a big, mature buck in front of me and he had some busted points I'd take him. I'd leave the rack as it was. I think it adds character; he was a fighter, and it shows in the rack. If one side was gone I'd pass. The reason to shoot a mature buck is the antlers, IMO. If I want meat a doe will do.

Phil.
Old 09-06-2002, 09:49 PM

i personally think it gives character to most of the racks but in some instances it makes them look better.i fix between 10 to 12 a year some i agree with some i don't but the imporant thing is the guy who killed maybe he watched all year and ended shooting part of the horn off or it got in a fight and it was gone but it was there at one time and he wants it the way it was,but the guy who killed the nine point and wants to make it a ten thats a different story.
Old 09-06-2002, 10:52 PM

Personally i dont shoot deer with a broken tine just to let em grow one next year its not all that importnat all i am after is a big buck but i can wait as long as needed i love just been in teh woods

&quot;She said if I hit that fishin hole today, she's be packin all her things and she'd, be gone by noon....I'm gonna miss her, when I get home.&quot;
Old 09-06-2002, 11:38 PM

If I get a broken rack that was good enough to mount, I'd think of getting it fixed....but with CLEAR antlers. Showes what MIGHT have been, but doesn't change what you got.