Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Problem with sore muscle in my forearm >

Problem with sore muscle in my forearm

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Problem with sore muscle in my forearm

Old 01-30-2005, 12:18 PM

Default Problem with sore muscle in my forearm

I got a new bow 3 weeks ago. This is the first time I have shot a bow in 40 years. I'm in my late 50's. I'd been working out with weights before getting the bow but still only wanted a bow with a 50-60 pound draw. The bow is set for a 58 pound draw weight with a 75% let-off. I have only been shooting 3-9 arrows a day. The muscle (brachioradial) in the forearm that holds the bow is sore. I do not lock my elbow when shooting and now my bow arm is too sore to shoot. I laid off shooting for 4 days and then yesterday shot about 6 arrows before the pain was too much to keep shooting, plus I almost missed the target at 10 yards. My son watched me shoot several arrows yeserday and didn't see any major problems with my form. It doesn't both me to lift weights but even holding the bow at arms length like I would be shooting it, without drawing makes that forearm hurt. Any suggestions other then to stop shooting for a week or so to rest that forearm muscle?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:24 PM

Default RE: Problem with sore muscle in my forearm

go to a doctor for check up u could of torn something
Old 01-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Site Bouncer

It's probably just sore from not using the stabilizing muscles for a while and age (sorry). You use different muscles holding the bow then you do lifting. I don't know what kind of lifting you do, but if you can try to use more dumbells when lifting. This will build the "grip" muscles more that machines will. other than that I would ice it after shooting, wrap it and keep it wam when shooting and take asprin w/ibuprofen for swelling.

Try relaxing you grip a little too.

I am 40 and I can tell you that the older I get the more things hurt. I did however put my body through a lot of punishment when I was younger though.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:55 PM

If its muscle sorness what I find helps is stretching (If possible) and drinking lots of water. The water will flush out the lactic acid that your muscles release.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ibuprofen would help and icing down your arms (i hate ice). Lower the poundage until you can build up. On the other hand I used to shoot at 64lb. then I bought a beast of a bow that I eventually set at 74lb. After shooting that a while I could rip the back out of the older bow which I thought was hard to pull. It just takes time and the older we get the longer it takes (so they say but i don't listen to them) I'm 47. You need to repair your muscles, a protein supplement is designed to do just that. Unless you want to bulk up get a low calorie one.
Old 01-30-2005, 06:02 PM

I am a licenced massage therapist. If you read my new post, the same thing happened to me two years ago. It was a result of too much saltwater flyrodding, weight lifting, yoga, and then the new addition of doing massage work. I was in pretty bad shape for a couple weeks, but kept up with the ice work descibed below, and got better fast.
I have studied these muscles in depth, the brachialis and brachioradialis are small but powerful, but if you strain them, its going to hurt like hell. It sounds like you are about to do this. You will not be able to tie your shoes,
or brush your teeth, let alone shoot your bow, trust me. been there.
The common extensor tendon is a critical area of the elbow (tennis elbow)
tendons take forever to heal because they get very poor blood flow
First LAY OFF THE WEIGHTS. (for now)
fill up a wastebasket with cold water and dump lots of ice in it. Put your arm all the way in for 20 min. While its in there, SLOWLY flex and extend your wrist. Squeeze a hand towel or tennis ball while submersed.
This is going to hurt like hell at first, but you'll get used to it.
Then, wrap the whole arm in a towel and turn on the TV...
This worked best for me late at night before bed. Take a couple aspirin,
drink water and get plenty of sleep. Wearing a wrist brace at night helps
keep your wrist straight so it will heal while you sleep.
Hire a massage therapist who does remedial/sports massage and can also
do tendon work and cryotherapy.
This is probably because you started an aggresive weight regime all of a sudden. I had been in the Gym for years but the addition on new movements/strains caught it off guard.
Remedial exercise: squeeze a therapy ball while flexing/extending
good luck
Old 01-30-2005, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Ibuprofen, free-weights, shoot-shoot-shoot, ice.......repeat.
Gettin' old stinks, don't it!?
Stick with it...it'll keep you young!
Good luck!