Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Passing up small bucks >

Passing up small bucks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passing up small bucks

Old 01-28-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Passing up small bucks

Just wondering how many of you guys have seen good results, after setting rules with your hunting partners to only shoot mature bucks. My family has done it where we hunt for the past couple fo years and have had seen alot more big bucks in the area. I passed on many smaller bucks this year during both bow and gun season which left me eating my buck tag but its all good since I had a few close encounters with some nice bucks. My dad ended up getting a 12 pointer on opening morning of gun season that scored 175 and 3/8th's. We also try to fill as many doe tags as possible since we have quit a few in the area to keep the doe buck ratio as close as possible.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Passing up small bucks

It's only common sense. If you pass young bucks, they have a chance to grow and with a couple years, you have a dandy animal. If you tag out on the first small buck that comes along, you'll never have the opportunity for a larger animal. If your happy with the small ones, then good for you.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:25 PM

We haven't seen much in results yet but the neighbors sure have. They kill every buck we pass up.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where in OTC you at. We do it over here and everybody is getting to see the results
Old 01-28-2005, 03:33 PM

yeah the other landowners have seen a few nice ones too since no one has a huge amount of land. we have about 200 acres which obviously doesnt keep the bucks on our land only but we seem to be the only ones who benefit cus we scout alot and plan our routes to our stand so we dont affect the deer etc. which makes them mad since we get all the nice ones but they don't put in the time but expect to get nice ones too. we hunt somewhat close to the border of ottertail and becker county how bout you TeeJay
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did it on my fathers old farm for 2 years before AR's (he's in PA). The last season he was there in 03 after several years, we were seeing many good sized bucks. Much more than the years before. Our rule was 8 points or wider than it's ears to shoot. You had to use common sense to judge whether it was at least a 2 1/2 year old or better basically.....most of the ones we actually shot were 3 1/2 though.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

QDM, that's what it's all about. The sad thing is that it IS catching on, it's just some folks seem a little slow! I have no doubt that it will eventually become as accepted as Catch & Release bassin' is now, just give it time and keep trying to get more landowners and leasers involved! It really is the only thing to do for all serious sportsman, shoot the Does, and let the little ones grow! THANKS for everyone out there that does their part!
Old 01-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

i do it everwhere i hunt i just can't stand to take an immature buck i'd rather take a doe.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM

I have 9 Pope and Young bow kills, 2 that are over 120, and 2 gun kills that score 145 3/8 and 168 4/8. The majority of these deer were killed after I had passed up smaller bucks on that particular hunt. I'm also sure that several of these deer are deer that I had passed up as 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds. Sure your neigbors may kill deer that you pass up, not much you can do about that, but if you let him go there is no doubt that he still has a chance. I've made a big committment in my area to talk to my hunting neighbors, show them some of my pictures of the quality of deer that can be taken if your selective. The neighbors have definitely bought in on the idea, so I have a very good situation. The QDMA saying "LET THEM GO SO THEY CAN GROW" thats what it's all about for me. If my neighbors would have not liked the philosophy then so be it, I'll tell them good luck, and just make sure the food plots and sanctuaries I work on are away from their property, and try to keep the deer happy on mine.
Old 01-28-2005, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

I beleave the deer where allways there. People just in last few years started passing up the little ones so they would be in the woods long enough to even see the nice bucks.

I hunt a heavy hunted spot they kill every buck they see. I take my time pass on the little ones and allways kill a nice buck. This is in a public hunting spot and you know NO one pass there :}

Quick Reply: Passing up small bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.