Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Passing up small bucks >

Passing up small bucks

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Passing up small bucks

Old 01-28-2005, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Passing up small bucks

OTC i am over here on the Wadena/OTC side
Old 01-28-2005, 06:43 PM

TeeJay,
So do you hunt in area 243?
Old 01-28-2005, 07:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

I know of few bowhunters that have a problem with passing up a small buck,but the QDM idea that a doe is the one that sells meth to your kids runs up your credit cards & cheats on your wife. Give it a break ,Take up golf if you hate deer that bad .If you feel the need to shoot a doe go for it ,but don't bitch about posted land when you & your friends fill your tags on does.Not all of us fear the female deer that keeps her fawns alive and well for me to hunt next year.Take some time while your shed hunting this winter and cut some browse trim some apple trees a make the woods a little better for the deer .Then next year instead of telling your kid that some where on the hill some one might see a big buck,You and your kid might see a live deer too.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

What does that all mean wow.

Elkriver i rifle hunt in 245 bow hunt around town here
Old 01-28-2005, 08:51 PM

iv shot one small buck it was my first deer and i didnt see the buttons until after my 20 gauge slug had a fight with his lungs and heart and won!
Old 01-28-2005, 09:10 PM

I think that if the hunter is in his first year or it will be his first buck, there is nothing wrong with taking a small buck but from there on out its mature bucks.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot everything that moves just to pi$$ you guys off!
Old 01-29-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I Bowhunt a public spot (private too) & let little ones walk knowing some will be taken by someone. I ate my buck tag also but did come close to a couple very good Bucks that I know also made it thru gun season. I think we (Most bowhunters) go through stages as a hunter. When we 1st start we want (need) that kill, then as we are fortunate to take animals we get into the more selective, conservation mode, but still want to be successful & then maybe a few go for the Trophy hunting only part. I wish there was not so much hype & emphasis on TROPHY HUNTING as I think it makes it tougher on the new hunter. Hunting is a sport to be enjoyed & a way for some of us to relax-we have enough things going on to worry about what someone will say about the size of our Deer. Good luck to all this season.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 AM

I hunt primarily heavily pressured public land, but I try to hold out for a mature buck. I have taken 2 bucks in the last 5 years(131 and a 1twenty something-not scored yet). I agree about letting the little ones go. He just might learn from his mistakes and make it through to next season. Sure, the neighbors will get a few, but if you don't make the effort then you may never see mature bucks on your hunting area.

TBO
Old 01-30-2005, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I passed up many small bucks this year. I have a 8pt or better rule for myself. I too have a buck tag unfilled this year, but there is meat in the frezzer 2 doe with the bow.

Hatchet Jack

Quick Reply: Passing up small bucks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.