HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Passing up small bucks
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 04:44 PM
IL Trophy Hunter

Default RE: Passing up small bucks

I have 9 Pope and Young bow kills, 2 that are over 120, and 2 gun kills that score 145 3/8 and 168 4/8. The majority of these deer were killed after I had passed up smaller bucks on that particular hunt. I'm also sure that several of these deer are deer that I had passed up as 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds. Sure your neigbors may kill deer that you pass up, not much you can do about that, but if you let him go there is no doubt that he still has a chance. I've made a big committment in my area to talk to my hunting neighbors, show them some of my pictures of the quality of deer that can be taken if your selective. The neighbors have definitely bought in on the idea, so I have a very good situation. The QDMA saying "LET THEM GO SO THEY CAN GROW" thats what it's all about for me. If my neighbors would have not liked the philosophy then so be it, I'll tell them good luck, and just make sure the food plots and sanctuaries I work on are away from their property, and try to keep the deer happy on mine.