Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Best Kind of Arrow >

Best Kind of Arrow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best Kind of Arrow

Old 01-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best Kind of Arrow

I know how to shoot well, I use my friend Bow all the time, I got some killer aim man. So what would you say to someone who can shoot a bow well but hasnt hunted with one yet?
I'd still recommend an aluminum over an all carbon arrow. That's my preference because I've never shot any carbon, regardless of brand, that can equal aluminum for accuracy and consistency. Other than that, I'd say go with ACC's over any all-carbon arrow. Third choice would be Carbon Express Terminator Selects, a fiberglass/carbon composite arrow, and one I've been very pleased with.
Old 01-28-2005, 12:45 PM

man im kind of leary about switching now. I was gonna switch to carbon arrows but im not sure yet. I mean if the aluminum shafts r more consistant thats what i want. i dont want to be worrying about a bad shot cause im shooting arrows that r not forgiving
Old 01-28-2005, 12:47 PM

I think this will help us, even myself.

Aluminum Vs Carbon
Old 01-28-2005, 01:05 PM

Don't let Arthur and the others scare you away, they are only using scare tactics to justify their choice in arrow. You will NOT notice any difference in hunting accuracy between carbon or aluminum. What you will notice is that aluminum will bend the first time it is stressed. Carbon is much more durable than aluminum(at equal spines) and that is the ONLY reason I shoot carbon.

The average archery can not tell a difference in accuracy.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

they are only using scare tactics to justify their choice in arrow.
Just FYI, I don't have to justify a stinkin' thing! I've worked my way through hundreds of dollars worth of carbon arrows over the past 5 years, testing them with spine meters, measuring straightness and inside diameters, weighing them on grain scales, shooting them with field points and fixed blade broadheads and comparing my average group sizes with what I get with aluminum. Aluminum wins on every point except on the chronograph.

My final opinion is, ICS type carbon arrows SUCK. I will never recommend anyone use something unless I can say it's worked for me and I do not have anything good to say about ICS type carbon arrows.

Use what you will, fellas, but I'll give you some suggestions to help with carbons. Get a grain scale and a spine meter. Get at least 6 dozen raw shafts. If you really need to yield a dozen arrows, might have to get twelve dozen or more. Weigh each shaft and group them by weight first. Then test the spine, all the way around each shaft and match them according to the stiffest side of each shaft. Then you'll have them grouped by spine and weight. Hopefully you'll get a full dozen matched arrows without having to buy more. Take your culls, repackage them and sell them for new on Ebay. That's what a whole lot of those guys you see selling carbons on Ebay are doing.

Then, take your matched set of shafts and cut them to length, taking half off each end. Since straightness is REALLY bad at the ends, you get rid of the worst part of each shaft. Then go back to your spine tester and mark the stiffest side of each shaft so you can orient your fletching and nock the same way on each arrow. After you've done all those things, you might come out with a dozen decent arrows.

Or you could forget all the BS, make it easy on yourself and simply buy a dozen aluminums. That way you know you're getting consistent arrows.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:15 PM

lol, Arthur, I knew that would pull you out of the wood work[8D]

Arthur has had problems with carbons since day 1 b/c his arms are so damn long that they don't even make a carbon in his range It's true!! It's also true that carbons get a little wobbly out on the extreme ends. For 90% of archers this is never a problem. But for those knuckle dragging behemoths like ArthurP, it's a horrible technological advancement[8D]
Old 01-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also shoot ACC"s because they are the finest I've found and that came through shooting many carbon and aluminums alike. They are expensive but worth every penny to me. I buy raw shafts and build my own, safes a little if you have the opportunity to do the same. Looking past the that,

There is nothing wrong with shooting aluminums like Eastons XX75 but I'd prefer XX78's... do your homework and if your anything like me, you'll be bouncing around shafts until you settle for one....
Old 01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I buy Eastons fall stalkers to play with & even took a deer with them this year, although I usually hunt with Gamegetters. I was leary of the stalkers but when I looked I found theyre as straight as most of the carbons. That for about $20 a dozen for raw shafts. Never shot a carbon so I cant say if theyre better or not but aluminums last a while for me unless I miss & hit a tree or rock. I shoot 2219 & 2216 tho & I supose theyre tougher than the superlites. They dont go real fast but they sure kill deer.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't let Arthur and the others scare you away, they are only using scare tactics to justify their choice in arrow.
Scare tactics? The others? Please explain yourself.

I have always had better and consistant results with aluminums over carbons. I admit though that 90% of the time I shoot fixed broadheads, even in practice sessions. Did I scare anyone with that statement???
Old 01-31-2005, 09:13 AM

I agree with Arthur about aluminums being better in quality and consistancy for the price. For the money you just can't go wrong with them. However I have shot many carbons and really didn't have all that much trouble with them. I do have a short draw length though and often shoot arrows under 25 inches. Shorter arrows tend to be more consistant any way, they just don't fly as well at longer distances (so I'm told, I have shot arrows at 21 inches and not had any problems with them if they are fletched well).

Most probably don't shoot often or well enough to notice the difference to be honest. If you get a flyer every now and then you wouldn't know if it was you or the arrow. Arthur has been shooting for a long time, I am sure his version of shooting well and your version of shooting well are too different things, so I wouldn't get too deffensive about it. I some how doubt you are shooting as well as you think you are if you are using your buddies bow. It most likely doesn't even fit you correctly.

Carbon arrows are durable, they can take a beating a bit better then aluminums. And they can be lighter, although most of the newer carbons on the market are fairly heavy now. I would just caution you to stay away from the really cheap ones unless you just want beater arrows (45-60 dollars). They are the same arrows for the most part as the more expensive ones, just the quality control isn't as good and the arrows may not be that consistant from arrow to arrow. As always (even with aluminums) you should number your arrows. If you get one or two that just don't hit with the rest of them consistantly, just pull them.

It really depends on how well you shoot in my opinion. If you are only shooting at 20 or 30 yards and group arrows around 3-6 inches for five shots, then just about anything will do for now. Especially with field tips and adequate flething. Now if you shoot well enough that you can't shoot three arrows in the same group without fear of wrecking one, or you shoot at longer distances like 60 yards and beyond then I would be a bit more choosey about my arrows. Guys that shoot at targets the size of a dime and expect to hit it are going to notice a slight variation in arrow spine or weight. And if you are shooting for scores they will go down. Also if you hunting and are going to use a fixed blade head you want good arrows. Make you sure you shoot every arrow you are going to hunt with using the head you are going to use. Don't just assume that because the one or two you tested with worked well that they all will. This goes for any kind of arrow, carbon, aluminum or ACC's.

Basically if you are new and just goofing off at 20 yards or so with field points some inexpensive carbons should serve you well for now. You should worry more about your form, aiming, and release then where your arrows actually impact. Now when it comes time to take game, or get a bit more competitive then better arrows may be a wise envestment. ACC's are about the best you can get because they are hand picked and sorted, but they are very expensive. I wouldn't suggest getting them unless you shoot well enough to see the difference. I can't afford them and don't use them. But I don't compete either. I use xx75 aluminums most of the time, or X7's if I can afford them. I may go back to nitro stingers though, which are a tapered carbon arrow.

Just my opinions any way.

And there are only about 20 threads about this subject I would guess.

Paul

Quick Reply: Best Kind of Arrow

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.