Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let off %

Old 01-23-2005, 08:58 PM

Default Let off %

What let off do you guys shoot, and does it have any effect on bow speed?
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Let off %

Well...right now I shoot 65% so I can get the most speed I can get. But when I get the bow Im gonna get this spring. I will be able to achieve up to 97% let off without any speed loss at all. If I want to fiddle with it alot, I can go from 40% to over 95% let off with zero speed loss.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:41 PM

I get 0% let off with my new bow. I just switched from a compound to a recurve. I am still new to shooting a recurve so I draw back to the corner of my lip and wait for the let off to take place! I get a nice suprise after I feel a sharp pain in my arm!

I used to shoot 70% let off. It does hamper the speed, but not by much.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dairy King, 97% let off, WOW, Please don't take this the wrong way, but are you sure about that? What bow manufacture claims it can do that? I am not saying your wrong, I just want to read about that for myself before I believe it.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I knew someone wouldn't believe me. The manufacturer doesn't claim it, but the bow is called an Oneida Stealth. A stock Stealth can't do it, but if I send it up to Monster Bows Inc. they will upgrade it to achieve 97% let off (similar to what Crackers does to Martins/Marlins, whatever bows them are)...and Yes, it REALLY is 97% let off, I chat with a guy that helps in upgrading the bows and various other people who have had this done. If I really wanted to, I could draw the bow, point it at the ground and let go of the riser and it would hang (very dangerous, would never do it). Its not a bloated claim, its actually over 90% let off.

I hope you understood what I said. If you dont have a clue what i just said, I will try to say it a little better.

Edit::I can give you the guys email if you dont believe me. and Yes, I really do "chat" with the guys. Over on Oneida's forums, they have a chat room where I go to quite often.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Idaho

If you are interest in a "high letoff" bow check out Concept archery. They have the concept 99. It has 99% letoff.

I have bows that I shoot that range anywhere between 65% and 80%.
Old 01-23-2005, 10:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where would it be legal to hunt with a 97% let off ? No where here in the states that I know of.
I had the moduals changed in my bow to 65% to meet the P/Y requirements, but hell the're changing there standards as the industry changes. Bobby
Old 01-23-2005, 11:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

buckeyebuchhnt, thanks for the info, I was just wanting to learn more about it. I never knew bows went or could go that high with let off. I thought 90% was about the highest let off that was available. Here in my home state of Idaho we have to use 65% let off or under. But I would like to for fun try shooting a bow that has 95% or more. I would never want to use it for hunting even where legal, I think that it would be to slow for my likeing.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

121553, I have heard and thought that P&Y changed the rules to allow animals killed with bows up to 85%? It wouldn't matter for me because like I said in my last post I have to hunt with 65%. Even if I could use a greater let off I don't think I would, 65% suites me just fine, and it seem to be a prefect balance between let off and speed.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Concept claims only a couple fps loss from the 80% let off to the 99% let off option. I have never shot one, only read about them. I believe GV Holiday (may have his name wrong?) is a staff shooter for them. I am sure he could shed some light for your curiosity.

Shooting 70 pounds I like around 80% let off.
Shooting 60 pounds I like 65% let off better. Not enough holding weight for me with 80% at 60 pounds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.