Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Let off %

Old 01-24-2005, 01:17 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Let off %

I shoot 65%.......for now, but I'm about to buy a recurve.

Maybe their are one or two exceptions, but most every bow is faster with a lower letoff, and with less handshock. Do you guys actually think it would be fun shooting with 90% or 97% letoff?

You guys talking about shooting anything higher than 80% might as well trash the compound and shoot a crossbow.
Old 01-24-2005, 04:56 AM

Hello,
Don't take offense, I guess I just don't understand. If you could draw the bow and then let it hang, what would be the difference if you would draw the bow and release the string? I would think that it wouldn't launch the arrow! What am I missing here?
ORIGINAL: Dairy King

I knew someone wouldn't believe me. The manufacturer doesn't claim it, but the bow is called an Oneida Stealth. A stock Stealth can't do it, but if I send it up to Monster Bows Inc. they will upgrade it to achieve 97% let off (similar to what Crackers does to Martins/Marlins, whatever bows them are)...and Yes, it REALLY is 97% let off, I chat with a guy that helps in upgrading the bows and various other people who have had this done. If I really wanted to, I could draw the bow, point it at the ground and let go of the riser and it would hang (very dangerous, would never do it). Its not a bloated claim, its actually over 90% let off.

I hope you understood what I said. If you dont have a clue what i just said, I will try to say it a little better.

Edit::I can give you the guys email if you dont believe me. and Yes, I really do "chat" with the guys. Over on Oneida's forums, they have a chat room where I go to quite often.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

I think we have got carried away with this high letoff. I am shooting 65% right now only because I can't find a 50 or less. I think you get a better release with less letoff and I am looking at recurves as an alternative. I believe we are all looking for an easy way to be good shots without practice. With the high letoffs its just a matter of getting your bow sighted in and you are good to go. My 2 cents.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:47 AM

65% is the state max in Washington and Oregon, so thats what I shoot.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:50 AM

I am shooting 55% let off and my dad is shooting 85% and we are both pulling the same weight and I cannot tell on arrow speed.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Typical Buck

Hello,
Don't take offense, I guess I just don't understand. If you could draw the bow and then let it hang, what would be the difference if you would draw the bow and release the string? I would think that it wouldn't launch the arrow! What am I missing here?
Because at 99% letoff the weight of the riser is more than the holding weight of the cams, therefore the riser would hold the bow at full draw when pointed down and hung by the string. Now, when shooting the cams are not holding the weight of the riser, so it will shoot at 99% letoff.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:58 AM

Thats what I was trying to say,,, Let off % has nothing to do with how fast a bow is shooting.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot a 65% let off. It is a bit easier on my shoulder.
Old 01-24-2005, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

121553, I have heard and thought that P&Y changed the rules to allow animals killed with bows up to 85%? It wouldn't matter for me because like I said in my last post I have to hunt with 65%. Even if I could use a greater let off I don't think I would, 65% suites me just fine, and it seem to be a prefect balance between let off and speed.
Idaho, it wouldn't suprise me a bit. My P/Y book is a '99 edition. When the new edition comes out, i understand that they will have a cross bow catogory, recurve catogory and a compound.
I would really like to get my name put in this book before the new one comes out. Bobby
Old 01-24-2005, 10:46 AM

I think those with 80% are being accepted with an asterisk put next to them to denote high left off bows. I think I read that on their website.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.