Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shoulder Pain?

Old 01-16-2005, 07:22 PM

Default Shoulder Pain?

Alright guys, I am brand new to bowhunting. I shot my bow for the first and so far only time 2 weeks ago. I shoot right handed, and now have some sharp shoulder pains in my left shoulder, which is my holding arm. I believe the pain is from letting the bow down slowly without shooting while the archery pro that was setting me up was measuring my draw length. I had to let down slowly like this multiple times, and noticed a sharp pain during the let down action. After he finally had me squared away, I shot about 30 times before the pain kept me from drawing my bow anymore. My bow is set at 70 lbs of draw, which before the shoulder pain was absolutely no problem for me to handle. I am an experienced and competent weight lifter, so my shoulder was/is in good shape, besides the pain from drawing.
I have let my shoulder rest for two weeks and it felt good. I attempted to draw it back tonight, but failed because of the pain. I can easily draw with my other arm without any pain or effort whatsoever. I also have no history of injuries in my left shoulder.
Any of you guys experience the same or similar thing? I am hoping that there is a ligament or tendon that does not see much use outside of the very act of drawing a bow that I may have pulled and just needs time to heal. What do you guys think? Thanks for your time.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Shoulder Pain?

Wish I could help you out. I at times in the past have got some pretty sore muscles in my drawing arm shoulder from over shooting. I know exactly what you are talking about but have always had it happen in the other shoulder.

I just give it a good rest when it acts up like that. Hope it works out for you.

Welcome to bowhunting and good luck!
Old 01-16-2005, 07:30 PM

When I first began shooting, I had pain in my drawing arm but never my holding arm. My advice would be to let it rest a little longer and back your limbs down to their minimum. Then just work your way back up to 70 lbs.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:30 PM

welcome to the board I had the same problem when I got my first bow the reason I think is over bowing myself. 70lbs may not be a lot for some people but you use muscles that you don't always use and if your muscles are built up it could also be that the motion of pulling your bow back is new to them. To get rid of the pain I had to lower my bow draw weight take a few days off and then when I did shoot I just shot less arrows until my muscles got used to the motion and got stronger and always streched which seemed to help. hope this all makes sense. good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:32 PM

I wonder if your maybe injured your rotator cuff. If throwing a ball overhanded hurts, that may be it. Just really sounds to me like you tore something. Does it bother you when lifting weights?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:01 PM

It really doesn't hurt when lifting. I feel a little twinge of pain when doing upright dumbell pushes, but nothing to slow me down. I have backed off the weight just in case on my shoulder exercises, but no real pain. Making a throwing motion with my left hand also does not hurt.
The pain occurs when I am holding my arm outstretched with some weight (my bow) in my hand, and attempt to draw back.
Something in the very top of my shoulder is damaged, hopefully a supporting tendon or ligament that will heal itself.
Thanks for the replies and making me feel welcome, guys!
Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM

Sounds like what I just went through except worse. I had been shooting for about a week and had normal soreness from muscles that weren't used to being used that way and than on Christmas I drew back my brother's old bow and let it down and I felt something in my Shoulder. I kindo of think I might have done it the last time I shot before than but I don't know. Next day I went and shot about 20 shots and my shoulder was barking after about 5 but me being stupid thought "no pain no gain". Just pain was the only reason to describe it. Took some Advil and by the next day fine. Went and shot on Tuesday and boom, it was like a shot going up and down my arm with every draw. Think I took 8 shots or so and shot it down. It freaking burned and it was even hard to sleep. Took 2 weeks off, went and talked to a Doctor and it was tendenities in the rotator cuff in his opinion. By pushing it I actualy ended up messing my left elbow up a bit too because of real bad form. Basically, I now do a major stretching routine before shooting and every night before bed and every morning first thing and it is fine now.

Doc's advice for ME was to build up slow again. I think I started with 10 shots and than 20 two days later and than 30 and I called him and said no pain at that point and he said I could turn it loose and shoot a full scheduale but just to be careful. And to ice down the shoulder like crazy after each shooting session. So far so good. 100 shots yesterday and no pain today (I am Guessing this wouldn't be slow in the Doctors mind but I had to play it by how I felt). If I feel even a twinge now I shut it down, take some antiinflams and ice it down. To be honest I think I could have gone shooting earlier but I think the stretching kind of made the muscles around the shoulder hurt a little which made me back off from my shooting scheduale a little bit.

With my line of work I can't completly shut down an injury which was a whole other problem. The biggest two pains were 1) Kept me from going out hunting the last two weeks of the season (Probably a good thing, my shooting was good but.....) and 2) I have been trying to get out a shoot the new Bowtech's, Mathews and Hoyts and having a bad shoulder slowed me down. Ahh, maybe this week.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:37 PM

I know what you mean. This spring when I started shooting for the fall season I felt the same pain. I tried pulling my bow back differently and it worked for a while but didn't solve the pain. I lowered the weight down to 65lbs and that helped a little. My doc gave me some anti-inflammatory meds and that took the edge off. But if it continues he wants to look into it further. I'm not sure if I want to do that. I've dealt with it for almost a
year already. I tried to lift weights with it and almost dropped the bar on my head. If you can still lift with it, I would hold off on the shoulder excersices and shooting for a couple of weeks, lowered your draw weight and try it again. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:41 PM

Deer902 and ILRancher, I agree with both of you guys. It is a 'burning sensation' in my shoulder, and it did affect my sleep for a couple of nights. I am also going to let it rest for another couple of weeks... even thought the idea pains me almost as much as my shoulder!
A brand new bow and I can't even shoot it! Sheesh!
Thanks guys.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:54 PM

I would look around for some cuff stretches on the internet. I printed out a bunch and it is helpful. That and icing seemed to help a lot. I am not a heavy weight lifting guy. Any exercise I do is tossing feed sacks, working cows, throwing sheep and stuff like that so I am not hitting the gym but in the last few years I have really learned the lessons of stretching. Sure, it takes nagging injuries for me to realize that I need to stretch that muscle group too but hey, I guess I'm a slow learner.

Generally the saying is that if you can raise your hands over your head with a straight elbow and the fingers pointing at the sky your shoulder isn't torn yet. Just don't overwork the dang thing. I noticed pain if I used my left arm to push a heavy gate closed. jus that full extension with resistance...Ouch.

Anthony

Quick Reply: Shoulder Pain?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.