Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Does this bother anuone else? >

Does this bother anuone else?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Does this bother anuone else?

Old 01-14-2005, 07:09 PM

Default Does this bother anuone else?

I just got done watching an episode of American Archer on the Out Door Channel. It was about Gator hunting with a bow. They go out and spot light these guys at night and arrow them. THE arrow has a heavy duty lishing line attached with a big float. So then they fight this gator til its to tired to fight back or it dies in the water. Maybe I just dont see the point in arrowing a gator and especially at night with a spotligt. Kind of turned me off. I would really like someone elses opinion or an explanation as to why this is Sport.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Default RE: Does this bother anuone else?

Dont know if you know this but gator tastes awesome. They do it for the meat, it is not like they go out shoot them and leave them to die. I have a friend who lives in Louisiana and he does this quite often. The gators get to be a nuisance (not sure on spelling) in some small ponds and rivers so the issue tags to go out and do this. I hope this helps clear it up for you.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:59 PM

Flintflinger, why dont you re-read your post. It sounds like something I found on the PETA website.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:07 PM

i agree with Highrack.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

From what I understand the gator hunting is for population nuisance control, and that's about the only way they can get enough of them to keep the numbers down. Just cause spotlighting deer is a bad thing doesn't mean it holds true for gators.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Flintfinger ,no it didn't bother me at all.One thing that they didn't show or you may not have seen is they use a bang stick most of the time when they get the gator to the boat.Also if you watched from the beginning of the program you would have heard that some of these critters that are hunted, are the ones that are nuisance.I have bowhunted wild hogs in the area that the show was taped and waded in waist high water with reeds over my 6'5" head,let me tell ya it was good to see one less gator.Also in the program they had mentioned that gator populations are on the increase.BTW do you have a better way of harvesting gator?It is some excellent meat.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:13 PM

Flintflinger, why dont you re-read your post. It sounds like something I found on the PETA website.
Dont need to re-read my post. I know exactly what I posted. Why dont you try tp clear it up for me instead of spouting PETA nonsense. I dont live anywhere near gators, so I dont see the point. I dont support PETA nor will I ever. Thank you very much.

My original post was my opinion and my feeling on gator hunting. We are all entitled to an opinion.

The gators get to be a nuisance (not sure on spelling) in some small ponds and rivers so the issue tags to go out and do this. I hope this helps clear it up for you.
I know they dont leave them to die. They had it in their boat all nicely bundled up as if it were alive. Mouth taped shut, legs tied to the body. I can understand if they are a nuisance. Just like yotes. I dont get hunting them either, but we dont have alot of them, at least not that I have seen.
If I lived where there were gators maybe my opinion would be different.

I'm not trying to poke the bear to get anyone riled up. I just wanted some clarification or some one elses view and deerhunter 18 did that where as txhighrack did nothing .
Old 01-14-2005, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

There is no difrance from this to shooting fish.As in all population control you have to find a way to keep it down.This being a very big PREDITOR that can eat your kids if they move to the right spot I think there should be some kind of population reduction.

Deer kill people by car wrecks gattors just eat people :}
Old 01-14-2005, 08:26 PM

Man, this is a tough crowd. Just because it is related to bow hunting doesnt mean I have to agree with it. I was just asking a question. I dont find it unethical or inhumane. I just do see the point as stated earlier. BUT i dont live in an area with gators. If I did, my opinion might be different.

I dont have a better way to harvest gators, personally I dont think I would want to shoot one. Again if I lived there it might be different. I dint see the whole program, I only saw the last 15 minutes. But I dont think my opinion would be any different. I will look for the episode to run again and I will watch it and I will see if I change my way of thinking.

Persoanlly I dont appreciate being bashed for asking a question. I was told no question was a stupid one by several members on this board. I guess it is only a stupid one when I dont fall in line with everyone else's way of thinking. Just
Old 01-14-2005, 08:31 PM

it is not a stupid question, you just wernt sure of how or why they would kill these. I just tried clearing it up for you. I hope i didn't sound like and a$$ i really was just trying to help. I'm very sorry if i came off the wrong way

Quick Reply: Does this bother anuone else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.