Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Necessaties in the stand? >

Necessaties in the stand?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Necessaties in the stand?

Old 09-05-2002, 06:30 AM

Default RE: Necessaties in the stand?

all answers above are great, i would add on thing, actually two spray bottle with peroxide. great for tracking blood trails.

hunt on
Old 09-05-2002, 06:42 AM

Just a precaution about the toilet paper, especially during gun season. I've heard of people getting shot bending over to wipe and all another hunter sees is that white paper moving around. They sell camo paper but I just use leaves if I have to go.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:37 AM
Typical Buck

I'll continue to use the piss bottle thanks....I'm not overly fond of climbing down trees that I've peed all over...
Old 09-05-2002, 10:53 AM
Fork Horn

All very good answers. I carry a folding saw, knife, breakfast bars/sandwiches, water, grunt call, a small pair of binoculars, toilet paper (wrapped in a plastic bag in case I get rained on). I put it all in a fanny pack and anything that might "clang", I wrap with tape to help redece the noise. When I get in my stand, after I put on my safety harness, I hang it on a hook.

Old 09-05-2002, 03:04 PM

as far as the "spitting chew on the ground " goes I have had deer come up and smell it but if you spook deer and they smell it it would probablly send them running if they smell it again

good luck and God bless
Old 09-05-2002, 04:38 PM

You've absolutely got to have a bow and an arrow along with a good hunting knife. You'll figure the rest out after a few trips where you do without and it's missed.

Old 09-06-2002, 07:11 AM
Fork Horn

What comes up the tree with me?
Obvious things first: bow, arrows, broadheads, release, etc.
Also carry the following in my pouch: lighter, matches, scent eliminator spray, (depending on what time of season, either doe urine spray or buck lure), two extra screw-in steps, flashlight w/ extra batteries, knife, Gerber saw, binoculars, safety belt, water, two extra broadheads, two field points, cell phone, tags and hunting license.

Probably left a few things out, but that's about it...just the normal stuff that everyone else takes with them. Good luck to you this year!
Old 09-06-2002, 08:58 AM

I hadn't planned on replying to this thread since everyone seems to have covered just about anything you could possibly need in a deer stand. But, I just read M Bucker's comment on using toilet paper in the woods.

I was Elk hunting in CO many years ago. While standing on a logging road talking to another guy in our hunting party, I caught a white flash out of the corner of my eye. Now, I know they ain't to many whitetails in the CO mountains but, since that's what I'm used to huntin in the flat country, that was the first thing that came to mind.

Now, I also consider myself a safe and ethical hunter, but since I did not have any binocs I immediately rasied my gun up to look through my scope. I did not even have a round in the chamber, but when I looked through that scope I was expecting to see a massive deer bounding away and given a chance, I might even have a chance at a shot. But, you can imagine my surprise when what I saw was a guy wipin his ars and he had absoutly no orange to be seen anywhere. He layed his gun down, took off his vest, and was oblivious to us standing just a couple hundred feet away.

That really spooked me because I've done the same thing without even thinking about what I was doing. When you see that white flash (TP) and you see no orange, the first thing that runs through your mind, at least mine anyway, is it's a deer!

So, my point here, is when your taking a restroom break in the woods, and you feel the need to be mostly naked when your doin it, AT LEAST WEAR A BLAZE ORANGE HAT!!

Oh yeah, have some respect for others including the landowner, and bury your waste.