Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Coyote Raid/Opinion >

Coyote Raid/Opinion

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Coyote Raid/Opinion

Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Coyote Raid/Opinion

Okay this is actually a two fold topic. I originally posted about a brave coyote that killed a dog just next door and a reply that was given. I replied to the suggestion but decided i should get everyone's opinion before i actually do it. I'll post the problem first.

[quote]Well earlier this morning about three in the morning was interesting for me. About that time while i was playing my PS2 (i'm a night person) I heard the dogs(wienier dogs) next door barking and all of a sudden one just whining out loud as in pain. I didnt think much of it at the time because the dogs are always fighting. About 10 minutes later the neigbhor knocked on the door (my room is closest so didn't wake up my mom) and asked me if i could do a really big favor and help him look for the dog. I asked what happened; a coyote had come into the yard, attacked both dogs and dragged one off but wounding the other one pretty bad but it survived (the guy was able to scare off the yote at least) Both of us knew the dog probably wasn't still alive but we wanted to at least look for the sake of his little girl who was about 6. We looked around for a few hours at a nearby field but didn't find anything. About a hour ago, i went back to the field to look around some more and finally was able to find what was left of the dog. I've never known yotes to be that social before but my only guess is because our house and the neigbors are closest to the field, that the coyote couldn't find any other food so he went after the dogs. Has anybody ever heard or experienced anything like that before?

this is the suggest part:

If you would like to kill this coyote leave a bowl full of dog food outside where he can smell it. He will come to the smell & eat it, then you can shoot him. Coyotes do kill domestic cats & dogs for food.

My response in which i need the opinion if i should or shouldn't do

Although i didn't care much for the dogs, i was sad that it had to happen because of the heartache the little girl is going to have to face (i'll let the parents know when they get home at 530). I don't know if it'll come back but i'm going to stay up again tonight and set up some food in hopes it comes back. I can't shoot my gun obviously but i bowhunt so if i'm lucky, i'll be able to get it with that. (the way i will set the food up, it'll have a safe background just in case i miss)
Old 01-05-2005, 07:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyote Raid/Opinion

ok 38 views and nobody has a opinion?
Old 01-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

i say its a hit or miss on that one i mean the dog food might work but i donno about it if u really wana try to get him maybe try some meat or tuna?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:13 PM
dws

We have coyote problems here too. They kill chickens even had them get one of my newborn calves once. I have found that one of the best ways to get rid of them is to bait them with some old nasty roadkill and set some leghold traps. You would need to check the traps every morning or they could have time to chew their leg off and get loose. In my opinion the best time to hunt them is after they have their young in the spring because if you can shoot the mother the pups will die too. They have a purpose in wildlife but too many are a nusance, and costly if they kill your pets or livestock.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:23 PM
Typical Buck

1st I do not think he will be back tonight.You walked all around looking for the dog so I am very sure you spooked him.

2nd If you want to kill him there is some ways you can do this.Go to the spot where you found the dog start puting for there [ just any meat table scraps will do] then find a good spot to set. If they are hungry enough to go after a dog they will come befor dark for a free meal.Tree stand would be best with a bow.
A difrant way to hunt him is to call him in. Use allmost any call,You can make most any call sound distressed [ blow it hard with fast repitions] call for about 3 or 4 mins then stand ready for about 10 repeat if need to. This would all so be best in a tree stand.

No matter what give it a few days to settle down befor trying to kill him.It is hard to kill yotes with a bow,so it would be best if he was not looking for you allready.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well i never did try last night because i doubt it'll come back and i'm not going to lose sleep waiting for it to come back lol
Old 01-06-2005, 07:24 PM
c j
Typical Buck

If there's anything I'd like to shoot with my bow more than a coyote, it would be my neighbor's weiner dog.

If I were in your situation, I'd wait until the coyote ate the other dachsund, too, THEN I'd find some way to take down the coyote. After that, I'd buy the little neighbor girl a German Shepherd. (Or a Bulldog, or a Great Pyrennes, or a Mastiff, or a Bluetick, etc.)

Seriously, though, if the remaining weiner dog ISN'T a worthless yapping demon like my neighbor's, it may be a good idea to get a big dog to protect it. That coyote will be back once he gets hungry enough again. It worked for him once and he'll remember that.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Typical Buck

had a coyote eat my buddies cat. My other freind saw it, the cat schreekin woke him up. And we live in a city. They come way up from a golf course on the edge and eat peoples pets.

Jim
Old 01-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Yea buy the little girl a pit bull. that ought to be a nice snack for the coyote. I used to have a pit bull, i wouldve enjoyed watching a coyote try to tackle him. Probably no good for a 6 yr old. HAHA.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:11 AM

A guy I was working with had 2 pitbulls that he kept inside at night and on long chains during the day when he was working. One night he had to work really late. When he got home he pulled up in time to see a couple yotes finishing off his second pitbull. Both were dead and probably would have been ate had he not pulled in. There were three yotes that did this. A week later a buddy and I successfully called in and killed two of the three. It seems sometimes the yotes get hungry enough they will try this. I figured if they are hungry enough to eat some house pets, They will be hungry enough to come to a rabbit squall. As pitbulls are good fighters, they were still no match for the yotes.

Quick Reply: Coyote Raid/Opinion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.