HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Coyote Raid/Opinion
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2005, 04:06 PM
Red Hawk
Giant Nontypical

Default Coyote Raid/Opinion

Okay this is actually a two fold topic. I originally posted about a brave coyote that killed a dog just next door and a reply that was given. I replied to the suggestion but decided i should get everyone's opinion before i actually do it. I'll post the problem first.

[quote]Well earlier this morning about three in the morning was interesting for me. About that time while i was playing my PS2 (i'm a night person) I heard the dogs(wienier dogs) next door barking and all of a sudden one just whining out loud as in pain. I didnt think much of it at the time because the dogs are always fighting. About 10 minutes later the neigbhor knocked on the door (my room is closest so didn't wake up my mom) and asked me if i could do a really big favor and help him look for the dog. I asked what happened; a coyote had come into the yard, attacked both dogs and dragged one off but wounding the other one pretty bad but it survived (the guy was able to scare off the yote at least) Both of us knew the dog probably wasn't still alive but we wanted to at least look for the sake of his little girl who was about 6. We looked around for a few hours at a nearby field but didn't find anything. About a hour ago, i went back to the field to look around some more and finally was able to find what was left of the dog. I've never known yotes to be that social before but my only guess is because our house and the neigbors are closest to the field, that the coyote couldn't find any other food so he went after the dogs. Has anybody ever heard or experienced anything like that before?

this is the suggest part:

If you would like to kill this coyote leave a bowl full of dog food outside where he can smell it. He will come to the smell & eat it, then you can shoot him. Coyotes do kill domestic cats & dogs for food.

My response in which i need the opinion if i should or shouldn't do

Although i didn't care much for the dogs, i was sad that it had to happen because of the heartache the little girl is going to have to face (i'll let the parents know when they get home at 530). I don't know if it'll come back but i'm going to stay up again tonight and set up some food in hopes it comes back. I can't shoot my gun obviously but i bowhunt so if i'm lucky, i'll be able to get it with that. (the way i will set the food up, it'll have a safe background just in case i miss)