Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

No-Peep

Old 01-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Default RE: No-Peep

Can Someone Explain How The No-Peep Is Setup And/Or Tuned For Each Individuals Form And Anchor Point?
Old 01-14-2005, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Choctaw the way i set mine up is to get the green dot lined up centered in the black dot.when i'm most comfortable at full draw.it can be helpful to have help.but not completly necessary.you'll love it if you're like me and love to squeeze ever second of light out of the day.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have roughly 5 yrs of experience setting these things up and using them.......Here's how I handle it:
It can be frustrating to set-up, especially by yourself or the first time without a few tricks of the trade.

#1. Establish a comfortable anchor BEFORE you even mount it. My suggestion is to always leave your peep sight in (if you use one) while you set it up. If you already have your peep site out of the string, tie a piece of string, or wrap a bread tie around the bowstring in the exact place you would have your peep sight served in. Everytime you draw your bow make sure this little reference point is dead center of your sights aperture.

#2. You want the lens unit as close to your pins as possible without covering them.....and after years of using it I find mounting BELOW is the best way. Attach the bracket under your current sight bracket and tighten it down. Next find the combination of mounting holes that provide you with the closest sight picture to your pins. (The less pins you use the easier this is to accomplish)
If it's set right it should be just below and alongside your lower most pins. The closer you get to your pins the easier it is to use as a reference as you are not "Searching" for it........it will become part of your sight picture.
Here is a picture that shows pretty closely how it looks in my vision while aiming....note how close it is, but it does not obstruct the most used top 3 pins. It is very important to make it a part of your sight picture and not 'Something off to the side'.
You can even see the beginning of the circle in the lower left of the lens....

#3 The reference point in #1 is to set your height adjustment FIRST. You have to do one at a time and height is the one to start with.........if you try both at the same time just hit yourself in the head with a brick now and forget the whole thing.
Tighten the unit down just enough that you can move it slightly with finger pressure.

#4. Draw your bow as many times as necessary to get the vertical adjustment lined up.....don't worry if the dot is left or right in the circle, just get it so that the height of the dot is correct. You might have to torque the grip slightly side to side to find the circle and dot if the initial setting is far off........remember just get the dot the same height as the circle that's all for now.........We'll worry about the left and right in the windage adjustment. At this point as you are lining up the vertical, look THROUGH your string and that reference point. The height portion of your form will not change when we go to the windage adjustment so don't worry about looking down the side of the string just yet.........you can but it's not necessary. Just make sure that you use that string reference to get that height correct. THAT IS CRITICAL! or you will not feel comfortable when it comes time to shoot........you need to make the unit work to your comfortable anchor or it will feel unnatural.

#5 Once you are certain that the height is correct lock er' down.........but be careful. A little tightening at a time on each screw and don't overtighten the screws are easily stripped and they'll seat just fine.

#6. Now we go to the fun part........the windage. Here's where you will need to learn to look just down the outside edge of the string. Don't bring your head way out away, just a very slight rotation outward with your head will keep your anchor right where it belongs. If you use the string on the tip of your nose as a reference, it will now just be a bit more to the side of your nose. Don't change your form! remember in the grand scheme of things you are only moving your head a fraction of an inch VS. a string peep.

Hold the bow away from you without drawing and get a feel for which way the unit has to move to bring the dot to the center by simply torquing the handle while looking at the unit. The windage setting is very precise and a small move makes a big change, so move a little at a time. Loosen the locking screw underneath slightly and start the process.......just understand what each move means with respect to that dot, it's easy to wind up going backwards.
Draw the bow and take your normal comfortable anchor, but this time just look just down the side of your string........adjust the windage in or out until you get the dot and the circle in the same picture. When you can see both you are very close. Your height should also still be perfect.
Now keep drawing and fine tuning until the dot is in the center of the circle.......if it's close, keep playing until it's right, don't stop and say "Good enough" you will wind up torquing the grip to make it right if you do this.
You will know it's right when you can close your eyes, draw the bow and open them and that dot is DEAD center of the circle. Get used to that slight difference in head position.

You should now be able to draw your bow without taking your eyes of your pins,and that No-Peep is glowing dead center in your peripheral vision.
You are ready to lock down the windage adjustment.........and here's where guys run into problems. For some ungodly reason when you tighten the locking screw underneath down to secure the windage it can knock the windage off very slightly. After you lock it down draw right away and if it seems like the windage is now off slightly?......it probably is. You will then need to redo the windage adjustment and this time OVERSHOOT or UNDERSHOOT (I forget which?) the adjustment so that the dot is slightly off to one side of the circle.......then when you lock it down that movement you get will center the dot when secured.
That part can be a pain. Whatever you do, if it seems off after you lock it down, redo it. Don't ever settle for close enough with this thing or it won't work to it's full potential. Get it DEAD CENTER.

Don't aim with the No-Peep! Just draw and anchor normally looking at your pins........the dot/circle is just there as a reference check, and it's very very precise. If you aren't dead center letf or right you are torquing the grip a bit.........if you are a little high or low then your anchor position has changed slightly.

Only when you are sure you have your height adjustment perfect should you take off the string you have tied to your bowstring as a temporary reference.........after that string is gone you MUST trust the fact that the No-Peep is telling you where to position your hand/anchor because your now flying solo.
The windage is more string/eye/grip critical.

If you take it step by step and make the No-peep work to your anchor and not the other way around it's so simple and accurate you'll wonder how you got along without it.

If you have any specific questions give me a yell.

I find it quite accurate if you have good repeatable form. I am actually using one on my hunting bow to shoot my 3D winter league until my target bow gets here and I'm shooting points up every shoot, 11 up on the last one. I still consider it a hunting tool , but it can get the job done in a target application in a pinch. I will absolutely not have a hunting bow without one.
Old 01-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

For some ungodly reason when you tighten the locking screw underneath down to secure the windage it can knock the windage off very slightly
I wonder if this is a problem because of components used in the making of the product or perhaps a tolerance issue or both? I also wonder if Archery Innovations 'Bow Anchor Sight' share that same "tightening issues" (It costs almost twice as much).

At any rate, I will have to get one of these and play with it. Could be just what the doctor ordered for my old eyes. [8D]
Old 01-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know Extrem 1 shoot's a no-peep and from what I understand he like's it very much ,he also has told me that it help's correct any form issue's
Yep-----love mine,dont think I will ever go to a regular peep again

I also wonder if Archery Innovations 'Bow Anchor Sight' share that same "tightening issues" (It costs almost twice as much).
I just checked out their web site and it looks to work the same as the no-peep but using a cross hair.I dont understand how it can cost twice as much though.From what I understand the "bow anchor site" is made of plastic and the threaded inserts are metal.Just dosnt sound as durable as the no-peep

I find the Anchor Site to be far superior. Much more visible & easier to find & line up with.
When using the no-peep or anchor site you arent supposed to draw back and line everything up relying on it alone.If you have good form and a consistent anchor point it should line up on its own if set up properly.