Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BOWHUNTIN

Old 12-25-2004, 09:46 PM

Default BOWHUNTIN

Hey All ,
Welp Yall I Bow Hunted a little last year and killed 1 with a bow , but i'm gonna give up Gun Huntin and Use the Stick now.
So now what Do i need for Full time Bow Huntin.
I know i need a new and better Bow but what else ....
Please let me know.
Thanks Alot,
RedneckDuckman17
Old 12-25-2004, 09:59 PM

Default RE: BOWHUNTIN

well some details would be nice what are you planning on hunting, what bow do you have at the moment, i would most certainly check into the 3d tournaments, a lot of bow hunting practice there, plus they are a lot of fun.

so for the first advice i could give you right now with what i know is......practice, practice, practice

give a few more details and i will post again
Old 12-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

My advice isn't on equipment, its to be patient. Practice alot and figure out your maximum range. Unlike gun hunting you must have a perfect shot with the bow. Don't try to shoot through brush or limbs if your not sure the arrow will make it through. Those darn deer will move at the sound of your shot before the arrow ever gets to them so longer shots are not a good idea. The better bowhunter is the one who passes on a marginal shot, not the one who gets lucky on a hail mary. Just my opinions of course. Good luck.
Old 12-26-2004, 11:15 AM

Well Here it Go's...

I'm in East Tennessee and I will Be Huntin Whitetails with a bow.
I just Wondering On what is the best set-up , Site , Arrows , Bow and Ect..
Also What i need to be success Bow Hunter I got a Youth Hoyt Bow But i have out grew it so i'm gonna need to get a new Bow ... Any Suggestions on Which bow to get. Also I been Lookin at them Bowtech But i really like the style of the Mathews SwitchBack ... But i am 18 and was wondering if i should put that much money in a Bow right now Where i still growin .Please Point me in the Right Direction.

So Far heres what i think i gonna Go with

Bowtech Patriot #70
Cobra SlideWinder Site
And A/c/c Easton arrows

But it might change still debatin on the Money stitution...
Old 12-26-2004, 12:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Any of the Bowtech "I" cam bows (IE Patriot) will "grow" with you as they use modules for draw length adjustment. As do a lot of bow manufacturers. Brownings cam system has ~4" of adjustment built right in.

The Patriot is a sweet bow, but it also a "top of the line" bow which goes for "top of the line " money. There are plenty of bows out there, just as leathal, that can be had for a lot less. Even in the bowtech line-up the Tomcat and Blackhawk offer great value and performance.

You can skimp on a lot of things, but don't hold tight when it comes to arrows. You get what you pay for there. Beman ICS and Goldtip XT's are a good mid priced range place to start.

Sidewinder? I've "heard" the wrapped fiber optic wires inside the canister "can" cause a vibrating noise during the shot.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:05 PM

Get you some limbsavers and string leeches from sims vibration labs trust me they make a lot of difference.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:25 PM

I am 18 over here in idaho and bow hunt elk and do a lot of 3d tournament shooting
if archery is your passion like it is mine, i have spent close to $2000 dollars on a new bow
and all the equipment including arrows and tournaments.

it was well worth it. like i said, practice is the number one factor, not just going out and shooting 20 yards nonstop, i practice from 2 yards to 60 yards, standing, sitting, kneeling, because you will not always be in the same position when hunting. as far as equipment sounds like you have a good set up going there, for the rest i would reccomen a trophy taker drop away, i use the mini, but i know a few folks who like the shakey hunter.

for sights i reccomend copper john
but here is a website that displays a lot of different sights and prices:
http://www.thebowman.com/mall/catsight_index.asp

for arrows a/c/cs are quite spendy running about $13 an arrow so if your starting out, i would get easton redlines or gold tips that are much cheaper and easier on the wallet when you ding them up for shooting, when it is time to go hunting, get your acc's in advance and get sighted in for them, then take those ones out hunting, but for practice unless you make a lot of money id go with a cheaper arrow, goldtips or redlines will do the job

i bought a bowtech liberty 5 or so months ago (sold it for Hoyt Protec) and it came with the string leeches i am not sure if the patriot does or not, but as far as those go, bowtechs are quite enough i dont find them to be of any use except an extra thing on your string that takes from your fps just my opinion on string silencers and what not