Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Which is better

Old 12-26-2004, 06:14 PM

Default Which is better

I have been using 4inch plastic vanes and was thinking of switching to feathers.Any opinions?
Old 12-26-2004, 06:18 PM

Default RE: Which is better

Feathers!! They seem to fly a little truer (at least mine do).
Old 12-26-2004, 06:25 PM

With my compound bow vanes were the obvious choice. They fly true, they're durable, and in hunting, wet weather doesn't affect them as much. I small game hunt with a recurve however, and with that I shoot feathers.... much more forgiving off the riser.
Old 12-26-2004, 06:26 PM

no noticable difference other then preference
Old 12-26-2004, 06:55 PM

I have heard that feathers are louder in flight. Is this true?
Old 12-26-2004, 07:44 PM

Gentlemen there is quite a BIG difference when it comes to feathers or vanes, my uncle and i have experimented with both the conclusion was,

using feathers results in higher arrow velocities, greater stability, better guidance, higher accuracy and more forgiving flight. You get less fishtailing from the arrow, Feathers weigh less than plastic vanes, when feathers travel over your arrow rest they also produce less friction resulting in a smoother launch and faster speeds, depending on your set up you could get up to a 5 ft/sec gain.

everything has a downside, with feathers, you need to keep them dry, so if your hunting and it starts to rain, be sure to cover those babys up.