Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bowhuntin' in the rain??? >

Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Old 04-19-2004, 11:59 PM

Default Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Just wondering who does and who doesn't. I personally hunt no matter what the weather is doing. I know I haven't had any experience in hunting extremely cold weather, so that could change one day. If you do hunt in the rain, what rainwear do you prefer? I've been debating over some stuff from Cabela's, I'm just not sure how well DRY-PLUS compares to Gore-tex. Does ASAT have any plans for some quiet rainwear?
Old 04-20-2004, 01:52 AM

Default RE: Bowhuntin' in the rain???

I usually hunt in the rain. But I don't use any rain wear, I just get soaked which can be a bit miserable at times [&o] This part of Australia doesn't get that cold that becomes unsafe to hunt without the proper gear, you just get frozen through. We don't ever get snow here just a bit of frost in winter.

I like hunting in the drizzly weather coz the game tend to stay out longer and the ground is great for stalking.

As for the rain wear, I wouldn't have a clue which is better or worse

Catchya round da ridges mate
Stalkin Steve
Old 04-20-2004, 06:39 AM
Typical Buck

I hunted for 5 solid days in the rain in Texas this year. I think Tx gets about 10 rainny days annually and 5 of them happened to be the week I was down there hog hunting.

In any case. I had the Cabelas Dry Plus, and was very pleased with the performance. I was able to stay out all day and stayed plenty dry. While GoreTex is nice stuff it is quite costly. The Dry Plus is a good alternative.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My issue with hunting in the rain has never been about getting wet. I have heard that you should not bow hunt in the rain because if you do stick one the blood trail will wash away quickly. I used to bow hunt quite a bit and then got out of it because I lost hunting rights to my old spot. I have now bought my own property and been back into it for 2 seasons and will never stop again. Maybe not hunting in the rain because of the blood trail is old school. Does anyone think that should be a concern with todays bows and broadheads? I know the hit is still important and I am a fairly good shot out to about 30 yards (4 to 5 inch groups). I won't go over that.

txmarshmonkey - To answer the question I do not at this time hunt in the rain and I have told my 16 year old son not to as well. Should I do some rethinking about this? I have always felt that the deer do move more in a light rain.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:29 AM

Maybe not hunting in the rain because of the blood trail is old school. Does anyone think that should be a concern with todays bows and broadheads?
That is not old school and it should absolutely be a concern to any responsible bowhunter. Personally, I do hunt in the rain, BUT, I limit my shot to 15yds, an absolute slam dunk that I know I will double lung. Taking 30yd shots on a rainy day IMO is a bad idea, to mainy variable to screw things up.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will go if its a light drizzle. I have even gone with the hopes the rain will stop, only to turn around and come home. I'm from the old school also when it comes to the blood trail. I'm self employed so to me there's usually always tomorrow.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer to limit myself to hunting in light rain only for big game. Rain can make trailing too tricky to be worth it to me. For gear if it is crappy out I wear my gore tex waterfowl gear.
Old 04-20-2004, 07:52 AM

My son, Joe and me hunt in the rain quite frequently, living in Rochester, NY. We have never had any luck in a downpour situation and normally call it a day if it develops beyond a steady drizzle or light rain. I don't often wear any special rain gear because I am normally pretty heavily layered to start. I do have an ol' trusty Army poncho that I take with me faithfully. I do not don it too often but it sure makes for a nice game wrap. Once a deer has been field dressed we lie it on top of our poncho, do some wrapping and then proceed to do our hauling out. Our game is hoisted onto the truck and off to our butcher. Game arrives clean and truck bed stays clean, all I do is run the poncho thru the wash and it's ready to go. HUNT THE LIGHT RAIN DEER LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 08:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Double Creek. I didn't think I was that out of date. I never really considered just limiting shot distance on a rainy day. That seems to be a good way to handle the problem. Thanks for the info.
Old 04-20-2004, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

MY DEER GET FRISKY IN THE RAIN, OR ATLEAST IT SEEMS THAT WAY.
I MADE A COVER FOR MY BLIND IN MY TREE SO I CAN HUNT ANYTIME. FOR THE MOST PART WHEN YOUR IN A TREE THERE ISNT MUCH RAIN COMING DOWN ON YOUR UNLESS THE LEAVES ARE GONE.

Quick Reply: Bowhuntin' in the rain???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.