Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 The 2nd Rut is in Full Swing (PIC) >

The 2nd Rut is in Full Swing (PIC)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

The 2nd Rut is in Full Swing (PIC)

Old 12-24-2004, 10:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The 2nd Rut is in Full Swing (PIC)

Guys, last Sunday I went out hunting for the first time since the 1st season, which was before rifle season, at a spot that the rifle hunters never got to this year, and has been hardly hunted. With the wind chill the weather was in single digits.

The first deer that entered the field was a small buck, which walked almost directly below my stand, which I passed on. Then I watched as 3 does entered into the Milo field and then followed by the monster buck of my dreams. I can say with confidence that this buck is the biggest typical whitetail that I have ever seen in the wild. The frame on this buck almost instantly reminded me of the "Barbwire Buck" that Bill Jordan missed, if any of you have seen that video. I'm used to seeing 120-150 class bucks, but seeing anything much bigger doesn't happen many times during the season. Just a Magnificent buck with several tines in the 12-15" range, great width and was easy to see good mass, just a monster. Unfortunately I decided not to bring my camera, and really wish I would've so i could've taken a picture.

After the buck came out, 4 more does followed him. They were out at about 100 yards looking at something in the opposite direction, probably a coon or coyote or something. The does start heading my way and my heart starts pounding. Then all of the sudden the buck turns and heads of the other corner of the field, and walking away. I tried grunting, but with the 25 mph Kansas wind he never heard it.

I was then able to go back out on yesterday(with Camera) with the weather being subzero(-8 to -15 windchill), and saw a total of 9 bucks enter in the field in the 3 hours I was there. Most of the bucks were young, with one buck being respectable so I took a picture of him, but still not even comparable to the big one I seen. But the bucks were chasing the does around with their nose and the ground, just running them in circles. I'm heading back out tonight, and tomarrow morning if I need to. Hopefully I can get close enough to the big one I've been holding back for. It would be a Christmas present I'll never forget.

Old 12-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The 2nd Rut is in Full Swing (PIC)

Ks Hunter what part of Kansas are you hunting in?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

go get'em man, cool pic btw
Old 12-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

He look's like a good one ,go get him.Regardless whether this isn't the buck your chasing or not .Great story.

nubo
Old 12-24-2004, 03:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice buck
Old 12-24-2004, 04:04 PM
Fork Horn

Nice buck! Are you on public land? Hope you get em. This weather is brutal i don't have enough insulated hunting clothes.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:32 AM

Nice buck for a second rate one, lol. Good luck..
Old 12-27-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well i didn't get him. I saw another buck, looked a lot like the one above, but was a typical 3X4, which is weird. But hopefully I can find his shed antlers here in a couple months. If not then it's a deer to look forward to getting next year. I'm hunting in NCKS
Old 12-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm used to seeing 120-150 class bucks
Wow, must be nice. Good luck on finding that big boy.