Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 all bows created equal? Help with 1st bow >

all bows created equal? Help with 1st bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

all bows created equal? Help with 1st bow

Old 12-16-2004, 09:17 AM

Default all bows created equal? Help with 1st bow

I am new to hunting and archery. I want to purchase a new bow next spring and practice all summer until the hunting season opens. I need help with picking the right bow. I know I need to shoot several different bows. I am looking for suggestions on what bows to look at and what ones to stay away from.

I got measured the other day at a shop. I am a 27" draw. I would like a single cam bow, in the 50-60lb range.

What are your suggestions.
Old 12-16-2004, 10:18 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: all bows created equal? Help with 1st bow

Shades,

Welcome to bowhunting!!

In response to your question, most bow MFG's out there today are very good. You'll hear alot of people saying certain MFG's are better than others, but in all honesty, they are all pretty well made now a days. What you'll want to do is find one that is comfortable. I would recommend looking at a bow with a axle to axle of around 34 inches or more and a brace height of 8 inches or more. This type of set up will tend to be forgiving.

I hope this helps.

Slice
Old 12-16-2004, 10:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome aboard shades,glad to have ya
slicendice gave some good info.All I can say to add in is try a bunch out to see what you like.Some bows are expensive and others are a little cheaper but will still get the job done.Spend your money on better accessories.If the bow fits you good and its accessorized with quality products then the bow will shoot good for ya.
If ya want my suggestion on what bows to look at-well---i'd have to say bowtech of-course.You will find a bow that will suit your need or budget,speed,brace height,A to A length,and so on.
Go to a pro shop and have them help you get started.They will show you the proper way to shoot and obtain a consistent anchor point.With the consistent anchor point and draw length you will be shooting great by summer-----good luck
Old 12-16-2004, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

First two questions I asked customers when I was working in a bow shop:

- What are you going to do with it? Target/hunting/both, what type of hunting, tree stands, spot and stalk etc.

- How much do you want to spend?

then went into find out if they had any ideas on brand.

The major bow companies all make good bows, most have a variety of prices. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

It comes down to what feels right to you when you shoot it. Shoot a bunch of bows, some will feel weird in your hand and when you shoot, others will feel great. For example, Mathews, one of the best selling bows for the last several years. I can't stand em, they are great bows, but I have never shot one that felt comfortable to me.

As for size. My PERSONAL preference is towards longer bows, I prefer something in the 39 inch range (30 inch draw). I have shot the shorter ones and just don't like em. So shoot several different sizes as well as different makes.

It all comes down to options, check em all out and see what you like.

--Bob
Old 12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shades, listen to all the guys ahead of me.. as they are all right.

My suggestion is to start with a good bow at a good price. I would suggest PSE equipment. I worked in a pro archery shop for many years and know of PSEs quality bow equipment. The best thing about PSE for beginners.. a great bow for a great price. My first bow was a PSE, just to see if I would like to hunt.. and I LOVED that bow. Since then I have moved on to more sophisticated and expensive bows, but I'll always think of PSEs as a great bow for the money!

www.Hunt-blog.com