Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Omegas??? created equal??? >

Omegas??? created equal???

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omegas??? created equal???

Old 05-07-2006, 08:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Omegas??? created equal???

I bought this cheap Z5 Omega on sale at walmart with the intentions of trading it on a stainles one with a laminated stock,but will the fancy ones shoot under 2 inches at 150 yds? This one shoots like a varmit rifle thats been bedded and hand loaded. If not all of them shoot that way???!
Old 05-07-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Omegas??? created equal???

If you want a guarantee that good, buy a toaster instead....lol [:@]

Muzzleloaders do not have the same government (S.A.A.M.I)restrictions as centerfires. T/C & other ML manufacturersare allowednarrower/wider bore variances than regular rifles. They only adjust their bore diameter specs periodically. Going down thebarrel-makingmanufacturing line, they may not do a diameter adjustment until the specs spread a couple thousands either way.That's why some posters here say their (hypothetical) Knight, Powerbelt, Buffalo & Hornadybullets load easy -- some say they load OK -- others say they are real tight.

All these very small diameter differences affect accuracy. All of T/C's barrels will deliver outstanding accuracy, but not with the same identical bullets, plastic sabots, primers, powders... etc. You may need to do some changes on your next Omega to achieve outstanding accuracy.
Old 05-07-2006, 12:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

I asked that same type question several weeks ago... There some constuction differences between the z5 - blued synthetic version and the stainless version - nothing huge at all but some... The real difference comes in the barrel... I can not beleive the difference in bore diameters that one might end up with. My Omega (stainless) is a 05 model and I am able to load everthing I normally shoot in this barrel with ease and shoot it with very good accuracy - It will shoot as good as I can shoot - the gunin the hands of a better shooter than will shoot better... but I do know there are Omega's/Encoresout there that you can not load 1/2 the sabot/bullet combinations I do. There is absolutley no reason to have force a "ploymere"sabot/bullet combination down a barrel - yet I know a lot of people do becuase of very tight bores.

All in all and ingeneral- I really do think that you could buy most any Omega/Encore and get the accuracy you are experiancing...

just my 2 cents..

Old 05-07-2006, 02:39 PM

All I can do is just add to what has already been
said. But I have an Omega that had to have quite
a bit of work, before I found just what it would
load & shoot accurately. MY bore, for some unknown
reason, was very rough, and very tight. I had to
use J-B bore paste with a small piece of scotchbrite
pad, and do some serious lapping of the barrel. This
got the bore to look like a mirror but some loads
just would not load. The easiest loading, and the
most accurate, load in my Omega is the Hornady
300gr. XTP-mag-HP with the crushrib sabot. It will
load powerbelts but throws them all over when
shooting them. So all Omegas are not created
equal, but all Omegas can be deadly accurate if
the TIME & EFFORT is put in to find the correct
combination of powder/bullet. That being said I
think most all T/C products have the ability to be
good shooters.
Danny
Old 05-07-2006, 05:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've got one like AQUATECH's - hours of work and probably $75 in powder and sabots - and $15 in shipping back to TC only to be told there is nothing wrong with it.(And the stock now hassevere scratches)!

Getting close with a load with the new mmp 3p sabots but been shooting the Whites and just haven't got back to it.

This is a laminated, ss, thumbhole - $500 plus. To me it is unacceptable that their top of the line Omega should need this much time, work and additional $ to shoot acceptably - I will never own another TC.

Steve

Old 05-07-2006, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

SteveBNy

I do not know about you Steve, but with this new White Ultra Mag I got - don't think I'll ever need another ML- hate to say it but I wish I had not even spent the money on the Omega - although mine has really been a good one...

Old 05-07-2006, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nothing like a well satisfied John!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know about satisfied, but I am up to 6!

Mike - I want to find a load that works so Ifeel good if tosell it if I want - but the loss I'll take will just be another jab.

Steve
Old 05-07-2006, 08:03 PM
Dominant Buck

I've yet to purchase a muzzleloader that I can not get something to shoot well out of it. The hard part sometimes if find what that something is. Things such as powder brand, sabot brand, and a number of everything else as all of us well know can make a poor shooting rifle into a sudden tack driver. I will say that the higher end muzzleloaders such as Knight, White, A&H,and Thompson Center among others just seem to shoot a greater selection of projectile well.
Old 05-07-2006, 08:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well this one shoots almost everything acceptably well, and it shoots the Shock Waves so well I keep going back out to see if its still doing it. I really would like to have a stainles with a laminated stock and since I already have to many guns for the amount of room I have [12 cartridge and 14 muzzle] I really need to get rid of one to get a new one.Lee

Quick Reply: Omegas??? created equal???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.