Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 just off the mark >

just off the mark

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

just off the mark

Old 11-30-2004, 05:57 PM

Default just off the mark

i was out on saturday evening at the same spot i've been hunting since sepetember. they finally cut down the corn so that i can actually see things moving around out in the field. right about about 4 or so, i see 3 does and a button buck walking around about 100 yards away out in the field. the button and another yearling doe both walk along the edge of the woods and stop about 12 yards from me, they were pretty cool to watch, i've never seen a deer eat so close up before. anyway, about half an hour later, the big doe comes walking along this trail to my left that is out in a swamp, just out of a clear shot range. there is a small trail that leads to a small clearing i made for a salt lick in the summer that she fortunately took to take back out to the field. i drew, waited for her to turn broadside at 25 yards, and released. the first thing i hear is a loud THWACK as the string grazes my heavy jacket sleeve, this was instantly followed by another loud thwack as the arrow hits her. to my suprise and dissapoinment, the arrow had drifted about 4 inches to the left and stuck her right in the shoulder blade, only penetrating about an inch. she ran off as fast as she could go, taking another doe and my arrow along with her. i waited about an hour or so and began to track her, there was the smallest amount of blood possible in about a 20 yard stretch and then nothing. we tracked for about 45 minutes beyond the last blood point and decided she was probably in the next county. i never did find the arrow but im positive it came out as she was going through the brush. its too bad that things like this happen but luckily i dont think this wound is life threatening so hopefully i'll see her again in a couple of weeks and i can finish her off.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:26 PM

Default RE: just off the mark

This is only my 2 cents worth, but 45 minutes was in no way shape or fashion long enough to look for that deer, yes it does sound like you made a "living hit" on her, but nonethe less, you owe it to that doe, that you made the bad shot on to look for as long as you possibly can to find her, even if that means going to the next county to do so.
Old 12-01-2004, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I do agree that you didn't get a fatal shot on this doe ,but I have to agree that you ne4ed to look harder for this doe ,you might have hit an artery and she might be laying not too far away ,so that you might get another shot to finish her ,but then again you may be right and she may be gone .If you don't look hard enough you'll never know .

nubo
Old 12-01-2004, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is only my 2 cents worth, but 45 minutes was in no way shape or fashion long enough to look for that deer,
I very much disagree with that.

Waiting as long as possible is great for stomach, liver, and intestine hits.

Without hitting a good blood vessel, an inch of penetration in the shoulder area, will more then likely not kill your deer.