Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 This should heat it up....... >

This should heat it up.......

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This should heat it up.......

Old 12-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This should heat it up.......

My point is that it's more of a personal preference and not so much an elite bowhunters and lazy rifle hunters type of an attitude.
That's an accurate assessment. I know some rifle/bowhunters that are excellent deer hunters. As a matter of fact one of the most successful hunters that I know, when it comes to killing big deer, hunts with a rifle as much as he does with a bow. I am just not as impressed by his gun kills as I am by his bow kills. Consequently, I spend 99% of my time with a bow in my hand because I have been on both sides of the coin in the past and I know it's not as personally gratifying when I kill a big one with a gun.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:18 PM

WHY DO YOU HUNT WITH A RIFLE SILENTASSASSIN?
Old 12-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part I don't. I have gun hunted 2 times in five years and both of those times I just carried a shotgun. I almost went ona rifle hunt a couple of weeks back but I backed out and took my bow instead.
trophy,

I already answered that. Here is the quote:

For the most part I don't. I have gun hunted 2 times in five years and both of those times I just carried a shotgun. I almost went on a rifle hunt a couple of weeks back but I backed out and took my bow instead.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think this boils down to what you find the most challenging. I hunt with a compound bow, shotgun and muzzleloader. My biggest deer to date was with a shotgun. Still nothing with the muzzleloader. Several deer with my bow. Bow is more challenging to me, but I also get alot more opportunities to go during archery season. Shotgun is 7 days, broken up into 3day and 4 day seasons. If I had a choice, I would rather kill a big buck with a bow, but I won't shoo him away if he walks past me when I am gun hunting. It would mean less to me to kill a 170 class deer on a drive than if I killed him with a bow under normal circumstances, but you would never hear me complain about getting him! The main thing I don't like about firearm season is the number of hunters around me. Don't get me wrong, I love that fact that people get out and hunt. i love swapping stories with buddies over a cold one about how their season went. But I also like the solitude of hunting in archery season when the deer move more natural. As long as it is leagal, do what you enjoy the most and be safe.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:56 PM

Northern,

The major difference would be the fact that you are able to kill the vast mojority of the deer that you see while gun hunting while you aren't only able to kill a small precentage of the deer you see while bowhunting. But, for some data to back up my opinion why don't you go to your states DNR website and see if they give a break down of kills. In my state although bowseason is 4 1/2 months and gun season is only 2 weeks there are roughly 100,000 deer killed during gun season compared to less than 20,000 killed during the 4 1/2 month bowseason. Also, hunter success rates are close to 20% points higher for gun hunters. In my mind those numbers in themselves speak volumes.
Sorry, but I am not buying that arguement at all. Here in Minnesota the sucess rate or rifle hunters in 2003 was 39.7%. The sucess rate of us archery hunters was 35.7% during the same year. In Minnesota rifle hunters kill the majority of deer because they out number archery hunter by a huge margin. Both rifle and archery hunters could probably kill lots more deer if they shot at everyone they saw but you know that isn't the case. Seeing deer is not harvesting deer.

You can find my data right here:
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/outdoor...vestreport.pdf
Old 12-01-2004, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, but I am not buying that arguement at all.
That's OK we don't all have share the same beliefs. I think you will find that the vast majority of hunters out there that hunt with both bow and gun would disagree with you though. Here are the reasons why I think bowhunting offers more of a challenge:

1. You don't have to draw a gun.
2. You don't have to anchor consistently with a gun like you do with a bow.
3. You don't have to get as close with a gun.
4. You don't have to have completely clear shooting lanes with a gun.
5. You have a bigger kill zone with a gun.
6. You have more shot angles with a gun.
7. You don't have to worry about hitting a sleeve with your string with a gun.
8. With most guns you have multiple shots.
9. Most guns have magnified sights.
10. You don't have to worry about torquing the grip on a gun and making a bad shot.
11. Blood traiiling is not as big an issue with a gun since it kills with shock rather than blood loss.

Can anyone else add anything that I am missing?
Old 12-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

I rifle hunted for a good 15 years,and started bowhunting in 1998.I trulely think its more difficult to harvest a trophy buck,heck,just a deer in general,with a bow.So what im trying to say is I have more respect for the hunter that harvests his or her deer with a bow.BUT,thats my opinion.
If my friend shot a big,beautiful deer with his rifle then id be happy for him and respect the animal.
Everyone has their own opinion on their own style of hunting.Growing up,rifle hunting was the favorite amongst friends and family.Everyone had the excuse that archery takes to much time to learn and never had the time.I personally wanted to take the time to learn and can proudly say im the only one in the family that bow hunts.
I still do rifle hunt every year with the 'GANG" because i want to.Its the guys getting away from things for a week at the camp,drinking(after hunting)and playing cards.Just the good times with friends and family,and memories to last a life time.If someone shoots a big buck with his rifle then im happy for him.
I think what im trying to say is everyone has there own style of hunting and whatever makes that person happy then so be it.No one is higher or mightier then the next.
Im really surprised that everyone here is fighting like school children over something so silly.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Im really surprised that everyone here is fighting like school children over something so silly.
It's the end of the season melt down. Happened last year too.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:00 PM

Do I think it is more difficult to harvest a trophy with a bow? It can be. However that really isn't the point of this thread.

SA:
In my own mind I am thinking well that doesn't even count or that's no accomplishment. That's just how I feel about. I don't care if a guy has five 190 class bucks on the wall, if he didn't kill them with a bow, then I don't admire, respect, or look up to his accomplishment
I think that is a pretty arogant statement for anyone to make. I think it is really sad that it was made by a hunter.

I think anyone willing to make a statement like that is not much of a sportsman. That is just how I feel about it. I don't care if the person has ten 200 class bucks on the wall. If he holds that opinion, I no longer admire, respect, or look up to his accomplishments.
Old 12-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah cant we all just get along.[>:] why does it matter what method you use to harvest a deer as long as you have fun doing it and enjoy the outdoors!! what if there were no bows?

Quick Reply: This should heat it up.......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.