Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What has been the highlight to your bowhunting thus far? >

What has been the highlight to your bowhunting thus far?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What has been the highlight to your bowhunting thus far?

Old 11-29-2004, 05:15 PM

Default RE: What has been the highlight to your bowhunting thus far?

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.asp?m=841243
Old 11-29-2004, 06:04 PM

This is an easy one for me. The highlight of my bow hunting career happened this year when I watched over my 11 yr. old son's shoulder as he shot a 140+ class buck for his first deer. Yes he used a crossbow and not a regular bow but I can justify that since he is too small to shoot his Browning Micro Midas at the state minimum of 40 lbs. (and much preferred to taking him gun hunting). I have killed 3 Pope & Young bucks myself and those memories do not compare experiencing this hunt with my son. Some people even asked if I was dissapointed because If I had been sitting in my stand without my son I would have shot him myself. Either those people are fools, don't have kids, or maybe my mindset is just different because I was way happier and excited having him shoot it than myself. To have a father and son sit in the same tree at the right time and remain quiet, still, and scent free enough for a mature buck to come within 16 yards may have been a once in a lifetime experience.

Go here for thread of anyone did not see it:
http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...1&key=&#824667

And just one pic:
Old 11-29-2004, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i had an 8 pointer come in just past too dark to shoot which was the only deer i had in range that was in one of my shooting lanes all season.
still have till january 14th to get one
Old 11-29-2004, 08:11 PM

First year achery hunter. Went out 7 times so far and got with in 5-10 yards of deer (several bucks and does) four times. Every time on the ground too. Pretty lucky odds. Never been that close to deer until this year it became an instant addiction. Had a shot on a nice 5by5 but arrow did not penetrate shoulder. Found out that was the worst feeling a bowhunter could have.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:15 PM

Well it happened today 11-29-04

I saw my first white deer in the field.
That was cool!
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

id say the highlight is pattering a buck and figuring out his travel pattern on a totally new piece to me this yr and then getting a shot on him. And I guess I can say the next highlight is Knowing hes still alive. [:'(]
Old 11-29-2004, 08:40 PM

watching my daughter on stand last year she had a nice 6 point come out and he was 35 yrds i watched her draw on him but she realized he was just out of her range so she backed down and just watched him for 5 minutes while he ate acorns and just kept walking away from her stand,
at one point i could have taken him but decided if he was to be taken it was her shot witch she never got a chance at
Old 11-30-2004, 12:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you would have asked me two weeks ago I probably would have given a different answer because I was extremely upset at that time. I had the privelege of watching a main frame 10pt with two drop tines (one on each side) and incredible mass within 15 yards of my stand. I never picked up my bow because I'm hunting in a EAB unit and at that time I hadn't filled my doe tag yet. I watched him for nearly 15 minutes before he finally walked away. When I told my buddies and my co-workers about it , the majority of them said they would have shot him anyway. So now that I look back at it I can honestly say I feel proud that I wasn't sucked into being a poacher because of antler size. I guess that would be my latest highlight.
And lowlight!
Old 11-30-2004, 09:48 AM

My one-week bowhunting trip to West Va with my best bud.
Old 11-30-2004, 10:21 AM

Wow BOWFANATIC, what an incredible experience that had to have been. I commend you on doing the right thing. I have had some of my most satisfying hunting moments from passing shots on deer that I know 95% of the hunters out there would have took. I get more satisfaction from that feeling than actually shooting a small buck. Being selective and waiting for a nice rack is not "all about the kill" as some people suggest.

My hunting buddy had a similiar situation happen to him two years ago. He had taken his buck and was hunting to fill his doe tag. I went home early that year and left my stand up so he could sit in it. The next day he had a 140 class buck come to his grunt call, one of the only bucks to ever respond to his calling. He could do nothing but watch him at 15 yards but the experience is one he will never forget.

Quick Reply: What has been the highlight to your bowhunting thus far?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.