Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Returning to a location after being hit? >

Returning to a location after being hit?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Returning to a location after being hit?

Old 11-21-2004, 06:17 PM

Default Returning to a location after being hit?

What are the chances of a big buck returning to a location, say a scrape of his after being hit by an arrow and not being a lethal or damaging hit?[:-]
Old 11-21-2004, 06:21 PM

Default RE: Returning to a location after being hit?

id like to know the same thing only i missed with a gun.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:44 PM

I have wounded three deer in my life that I was not able to find immediately. Two of them have come back to the exact spot where they were shot. I tracked one right back to the tree that I shot him out of! The gut-shot deer that I found earlier this season was headed right for the place that he was shot. He was not far at all from the location.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:49 PM
Typical Buck

I shot a small buck several years ago with a nick in his briskit from my near miss the week before. I was in the same tree and he was on a trail about 20 yards from my first shot.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:46 AM

i shot a small buck from a ground blind several years ago in THE NO MANS LAND just under the spine, above the lungs. we trailed him that night with very little blood. the next afternoon my buddy and I went back to the same ground blind and the same little buck snuck in on us and was eyeing our blind trying to figre out what was sitting in there. by the time we realized he was there he had already had enough and was headin away.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:12 AM

Well good then maybe this same buck will go lay down and be ok, I never found him and am convinced he is living, for the blood trail has stopped.And he cant be found on the ground dead. I shot him at one of his scrapes that are rescraped everyother day by me with a little added drippings, I am going to use some still steaming doe poop I found that same day i was tracking him, and drop it in his scrape and drag some pee down a little closer to my stand out of the brush and see if I can get him in a little better. It was simply too early to even make out his rack size that morning of the shot, I could only make out a big bodied deer. Wishg me luck!!!!
Old 11-22-2004, 08:24 AM

I've seen a buck come up to the ede of the woodline he was in when my cousin had nailed a doe earlier in the season, he came to the woods, looked around and kinda walked in and around the location as if he wasn't so sure of what really happened that day... He was only about 40 yds from the 1st trail.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:26 AM

Yes, after I made this post, I was thinking to myself, it isnt like the deer saw me he never knew what hit him.So he should return just be more cautious or I hope he returns anyways.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the deer is not mortally wounded, then it will circle and come back to that general area, he might be a trail higher or lower but he will come back to that area.
Old 11-22-2004, 12:17 PM

I sure hope everyone is right, I went and refreshed his scrape again today. I will hunt it tomorrow.