Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Returning to bowhunting >

Returning to bowhunting

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Returning to bowhunting

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Returning to bowhunting

Just decided to give bowhunting one more shot. I haven't so much as shot a bow in 7yrs due to a bad shoulder injury. I think I might be able to handle 60# draw weight but that will be the max. Three days ago I bought a used Hoyt Fastflight. I gave 120 for the bare bow. I added a three point fiber optic sight, wiskerbiscuit rest, quiver, half dozen carbon arrows, and a Bearpaw release. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet because the shop was sold out of targets at the time. I had the bow set at 55#. Just wanted to know what you all thought about my set up and what kind of accuracy I could expect with this combonation. Any tips, thoughts, and advice will be appreciated.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Returning to bowhunting

Your setup sounds good. 55# is plenty of wieght for deer and other thin skinned game, elk size game too if your smart about shot selection. I would go with a good cut on contact broadhead such as the magnus stinger, simmons sharks, G5 montec. Getting out of the cut on contact catagory the old faithful Muzzy's will not fail, Slick Tricks would be something else to try.
Old 02-11-2007, 05:58 PM
Fork Horn

I appreciate the advice popeandyoungchaser. I was thinking of using either 100gr Thunderheads or 90gr Muzzys. I will limit my shots to 30yds. After all, the joy of bowhunting is getting close the the animals right? When I bowhunted before I loved the challenge of getting close. You also see so many things out there that you normally wouldn't see. The limited range forces you to do more watching than shooting and it can teach you a lot about wildlife.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:00 PM

Welcome back!
I would suggest setting the bow at it's lowest poundage at first and then work your way back up to the 55 lb or more.
Get more arrows, you're going to need them!
Good luck
The bow will shoot as accurate as YOU are able to shoot it.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice Buellhunter. I plan to get more arrows, I just didn't want to spend too much money until I find out for sure if my shoulder can handle it. It would be a shame to just have to sell it all because my shoulder couldn't handle it. I think it would totally break my heart to learn that I would never be able to boehunt again. As long as the pain isn't totally unbearable I think I will be fine. A little pain will be worth it. I quit hunting before because 3-4 shots and my shoulder hurt to much to even draw a 40# bow. That prevented me from practicing enough to be confident in an ethical shot so I gave it up because the animals deserve more than a wounding shot.