Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 effects of habitat change during the rut >

effects of habitat change during the rut

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

effects of habitat change during the rut

Old 11-18-2004, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default effects of habitat change during the rut

What do you all think would be the effect of having a soy bean field harvested right now while the rut is on? I'm on a piece of land that is connected to another piece of land by a large soy bean field. I don't hunt the field or what's on the other side (don't have permission to). The plot of land I'm on is small... My deer wonder over and bed down from the other side (especially now to get away from the bucks). I've seen them coming over through little protected draws but also right across the arch of the field in the most unprotected place. My question is if the harvesting of the soy will dramaticaly change where the deer are going? How much would they rely on soy beans (that only come up to their belly's) for cover?
Old 11-18-2004, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: effects of habitat change during the rut

I think it will have a dramatic effect within a couple of days. It happenend to me, 2 weeks ago the corn was cut down. Had been seeing does nightly and several good bucks, cruising the fields checking them out. Corns down 1 week, and I see nothing. I haven't gone 4 days all season without seeing deer up till now. Now it's 4 days in a row..Nothing.

No doe come to feed..no bucks come looking for does.

Just my recent expirience, sorry, to give you bad news.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
Typical Buck

well you haven't totally discouraged me (YET!). It does make me more curious tho. Because part of my question was how much they counted on something 1/3 of the size of corn to provide cover.

FYI, I did go out this morning (to discover the soy gone) and it was the first morning I haven't seen anything for 2 weeks (it was regular to not see a thing before that) [][>:]
Old 11-18-2004, 12:17 PM

I have found that a day or two after a field is harvested, that deer are drawn to it as its a change to them. A soybean field being cut is a big change to them and they are curious of it. Not exactly sure how it will affect you as you dont hunt the land with the beans.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

I don't hunt the land but they traveled through it regularly to get to me...

EDIT: My hope was that it would screw with them and keep them bedded for, oh say 3 days solid (shotgun season in IL)
Old 11-18-2004, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ever see a deer stand up in the soy and say wow where did it come from?? They hide quite well in da beans, also the food brings them in the area.
Hunt hard for the next couple of days cause once word gets out that theres no beans your gig is up.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Typical Buck

Well I'm praying that this guy plants winter wheat when he pulls the rest of the soy (he did half field yesterday).