Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list! >

Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list!

Old 11-16-2004, 07:42 PM

Default Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list!

I am going to begin bowhunting next year with hopes of getting a bow after this season and learning to shoot through the summer. I am not going to waste time getting a cheap bow, but also can't afford a mathews. I understand that a bow has to fit the hunter, and I want a bow that is quiet. First will you guys list other qualities I should look for in a bow, and things to avoid. Then, if you have suggestions on any brands or specific bows to look at I would appreciate it. Don't know much about the sport other than I am looking forward to the challenge, and getting close to some bucks!
Old 11-16-2004, 07:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list!

Well heres what i think you should do, go to a archery shop and shoot alot of bows in your price range and pickthe one you want, talk to them about your bow setup you will be suprized how much they can help also there might be other hunters in there shooting you can talk to. but is there really any specific questions you want to know?
Old 11-17-2004, 06:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

Don't get caught up in speed. Look for a bow that feels good in your hands when you shoot. Also look for a quiet one. A bow that generally has a longer brace height will be easier to shoot. I did a lot of searching this past year and bought a new bow. The 2 brands I liked the best before deciding were Martin and Alpine archery. I chose a Martin.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

Find a shop that treats you well and has a range first, there are plenty of great bows out there.

I made the mistake of buying my first bow "off the rack" at an Army/Navy store that had bows on sale. After struggling for a month, I took it to a regular Archery shop who showed me the drawlength was too long. He switched the string and adjusted the cables as much as he could but he(we) could never get it quite right- expensive lesson[&:]

It took me some $ and a ton of practice to unlearn the bad habits I developed shooting that bow.

UR
Old 11-17-2004, 07:49 AM

Bowshop is the only way to go if you want to avoid developing bad habits early.
Understand the things that make an archer more accurate. Read up and study a bit on the subject. Become a student of archery and then bowhunting.

Brace height is important to learn about. The higher the #, the more forgiving (meaning more accurate). I agree not to get caught up in speed. There are many guys and gals shooting lower speeds and they are deadly accurate and harvest just as many if not more deer than the "speed freeks".

Good bow shops often have used bows that are not too old and have very modern technology. If the bow shop has a good reputation then you migh have confidence in purchasing a used bow at a great discount and have them set it up for you.
A lot of hunters get caught up in the newest technology and buy new bows each year or every few years. Those are the used ones that are perfect and cost half as much as a new one. ( Matthews shootes are famous for this!)

I would lastly say, my personal reccomendation would be to only buy a one cam bow or the new cam and 1/2 bows. Then you really cut out a lot of worries about tuning and timing.

Good luck, warn those around you that you will become an addict, because you will.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:21 AM

Yep, you need to do some leg work before you spend money. I totally agree that the only way to get started out on the correct path is to visit the man at the pro shop. I would add that most shops only carry brand a,b and c and others will carry brand b, d and f. The bow makers have sales zones and you wont be seeing everything there is at only one shop. You also won't be seeing the lesser marketed bows like those seen in cabelas or eders catalogs. When you leave the shop you need to have an idea of what poundage you can handle and your draw lengh. Adding fancy nock loops or strings will add up to 1/2" to your bows draw length so keep that in mind when setting things up. Most of the newer bows will allow for some draw lengh adjustment and when you drop the cash make sure the shop takes the time to set the bow up before you leave. And after your bow is shot a 100 times or so the string will become set and then you will fine tune the bow. Dont get bent if the way the bow shoots changes a bit when in the brake in period.

I bought a Bowtech two years ago and it is a fine piece of technology just as mathews and several others are. My brace height is 6 5/8" and that makes for a fast and flat shooting bow but it takes a bit more focus to consistantly shoot it well. I'll stay in the 7"+ range next time I get a new bow.

Practice your practicing...
Old 11-18-2004, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree to visit a shop or several if they are around. Also, don't consider working with a shop that won't let you test shoot some bows.

One thing about a compound that is imperative. If the drawlength isn't right then nothing else about the bow matters. Get this right. To figure just about what you should shoot measure your wingspan and divide it by 2.5. This gets you within 1/2". If it's between a whole number and a half, go on the short side. The rigging will stretch over time to compensate.

Don't overbow yourself. Keep the weight down so you can draw it EASILY. You'll be able to shoot more often, longer, and more accurately.
If buying a single cam bow pay particular attention to how much the bottom cam leans in relation to the limbs. DO NOT buy a single cam bow with cam lean. It can't be straightened out. For more info on this read Letter #5 on www.spot-hogg.com
Buy GOOD accessories (sight, quiver, rest) and decent quality arrows. Quality components can be transferred to your next bow should you upgrade later. I got an opinion based on 30 years experience. Plastic has no business on a bow, especially a sight. Quivers we gotta live with. The others, we got better choices.

Keep your bow choices to quality manufacturers: Martin, Parker, Hoyt, Darton, Kodiak, BowTech. (PSE and Browning are not in this league). The Martin Shadowcat is one that has my interest this year.
I like HHA Optimizer sights, especially the OL 5000 and OL 5500. Worth a look. A second choice would be the Cobra Sidewinder Series.
For a rest and other things? KISS.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

The biggest thing I can stay is find a bow that fits and feels good to you, sometimes it is best also to stay away from the hype in products and buy the most functional stuff or what appeals to you and looks like it will work for you. In archery there are a lot of products that in my opinion are overpriced and are a lot of "novelty" items than hunting items, this includes everything from bows to broadheads. I started bowhunting with a darton 50MX with 2117 easton gamegetters muzzy 125's and fairly plain jane equipment but it put the meat on the table and was crazy accurate out to 25 yards or so. Good luck and keep us posted!!!
Old 11-18-2004, 10:08 AM

Just like what the others are saying, I'll repeat. Get something that is forgiving when you shoot. Speed in not everything, accuracy is!! Go and shoot a variety bows, and do it over again if you have to . I would have to suggest maybe reading reviews on different bows, maybe do some searching here on the Internet. Just take your time, and don't rush into it. Get something that's comfortable to you, and don't let someone talk you into to something else you don't want or can't afford. You'll find one, good luck.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I myself shoot a darton yukon, and i love it. My first bow was a browning bridger plus and that was junk. Find a shop that is close, it becomes a hassel if you have drive across town for a dozen of arrows, but if that is waht you gotta do then so be it. Look at, do u wanna shoot mechanical or cut on contact? Do you wanna shoot with a release or shoot fingers? Is this going to be a only hunting bow or competition bow? What sights, and rests do i like? do i wanna use a drop away or a tm hunter rest? What kind of arrows, carbon or aluminum? You get these questions answered with yourself and you'll find the kind of bow your looking for, for the right price.

Quick Reply: Experienced bowhunters- Please help with my list!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.