Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Clothing tips for Michigan Hunt >

Clothing tips for Michigan Hunt

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Clothing tips for Michigan Hunt

Old 11-17-2004, 09:48 AM

Default Clothing tips for Michigan Hunt

This will be my first time hunting in snow/fowl weather. I'm from Louisianna and we don't get that type of weather down here. My hunt will take place on the last few days of the season 12/30-1/2. I will be bringing some Insulated Coveralls and Bibs and poly pro underwear. My boots are Lacross Burly insul. Any info. on what to bring and what to wear will be greatly appreciated. Been reading message board for about 2 years now and finally registered!
Thanks
Old 11-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Clothing tips for Michigan Hunt

All depends on what part of Michigan..

Lower Michigan or Upper Michigan.. I am from the Far western U.P. where we get most of the snow for Michigan. Lake Effect...

It could be 40 degrees then, or it could be -20. All Depends...

Just bring enough clothes, (layering is your best bet).. A GOOD warm HAT, some disposable Hand/Body warmers, put a set on your kidneys(keep a shirt between them and your skin) , it will help dramatically.. also have a pair to help keep your hands warm.. GOOD WARM gloves... like CHOPPERS..

But be sure you can still shoot your bow with all the clothes on... that'll be the next biggest problem.. Your form will prolly be different with all the clothes.. make sure you shoot with all your clothes on before you go hunting so you can make some adjustments.. and i would drop your bow poundage 5 lbs too... that'll help
Old 11-17-2004, 02:57 PM

Mathewsboy said it all....bring lots of clothing to layer with depending on the weather. I like a hand muff (is that what they are called?) that I wear around my waist with a hand warmer in it too. That way I can get away with lighter weight gloves. Make sure you practice shooting with your gloves though. Some gloves feel slippery when holding the bow upright as you draw back.
Old 11-17-2004, 03:27 PM

Thanks Mathewsboy and dkeener.

It has always been my dream to hunt in the snow. BTW I've only seen snow one time in my life and it melted as soon as it hit the ground. I will be hunting in the LP around the Detroit area. Can't wait to film and arrow the big bodied deer that ya'll grow. I recently purchased a body sock (thermal underwear) by Carol Davis Sportswear. Have you heard of these? Also, what type of boots do you recommend? I will be bringing the all rubber Lacross Burly's with 9mm of wool. Will this be enough?

Thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

YOu dont need to go up north looking like the state puff marshmallow man, what you need is quality garments. First layer.(stay away from cotton)!! Should be your thermal, then the next layer, something that is wind stopper material, then you outside layer which should be really good material. Dress like that with your gloves and head and feet you'll be good to go
Old 11-17-2004, 07:31 PM

Detriot Area? The way the weather has been around here the last month you may want to pack shorts; its been pretty flukey.

I would plan on a high of 35 during the day, but you never know it could be getting all the way up to 2 during the day, it just depends on the year. I personally bought a pair of insulated bibs this year and when I was hunting in the UP Mich two weeks ago the temps ranged from 20-45 degrees and they performed awesome. I wish I had bought them years ago.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 PM

I love hunting in the snow. Last year I had a hunt it was snowing and we had 3 does come in. Its amazing how well you can see them. Plus bloodtrailing is a breeze. Also the woods in a calm snow have an eerie sound. I can't wait for the cold weather.
Old 11-18-2004, 05:58 AM

Quick and easy rule to remember when in the snow. Learned it during my rescue days in Winter Emergency Care...Cotton kills, wool warms. Refers to what happens when they get wet in the snow or cold elements. Layering is by far the best. Carry a backpack and if you need to peel off a layer or two throw them in the pack. Also when you are walking in in the morning go in as light as possible and get dressed at your destination. Even with all of todays fabrics once you break into a good sweat and then get a little breeze and catch a chill it is hard to get warm again all day. Even in temps like we had here in NH last Sat AM 20 deg with snow blowing all over the place wool pants, poly wool blend thermals and a chamois shirt under the gortex parka with a baseball cap and no gloves was to warm after walking to cut track for a while.