Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Spitfires OK?

Old 11-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Spitfires OK?

NAP has made a spitfire with the cut-on-impact head. It is a little more costly, but this will eliminate all the glancing problems you guys are having. A razor tip will not glance off and will help with penetration. I shoot the Scorpion XP's, same heads as the spitfire only has an o-ring at the base of the blades. The Scorpions have the razor tip and I love it, great pentration and I don't think I will change.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:59 AM

A bad shot is a bad shot,don't blame the Spitfire for it.I've killed dozens of deer with the Pro Series Spitfires(100% one shot kills),and this year I'm using the Pro Series Spitfire XP's.Two shots,two dead deer so far this season,excellant mech. broadhead...Bob
Old 11-15-2004, 06:07 PM

Spitfire is the only way to go in my opinion. There is not a finer mechanical on the market. Never had nothin but dead deer to worry about at any angle. Its all about shot placement i guess.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It penetrated about 16'' and had no blood on it just hair & fat.
Not trying to start anything here, but if you got 16" of penetration and didn't end up dragging a deer out, it was the shot placement -- not the broadhead.

Last year I took a P&Y'er in Illinois that weighed darn close to 280 on the hoof; I only got about seven inches of penetration with a little over a 10-yards shot due to hitting the shoulder blade square on as he stood broadside, but he only made it about 70 yards on a dead run before crashing dead. Sixteen inches of penetration should reach any vital organ needed to put one down except for the most severe quartering shots.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:26 PM

Look for yourself

Old 11-15-2004, 07:41 PM

A couple months ago my buddy and I did a broadhead test with 10 different broadheads, Spitfires were the only mech. to passthru a 1in piece of pressure treated plywood and still be in tact, steelheads passed thru but the blades were damaged. Muzzy's were the winner hands down, then magnus stingers and steelforce to round it off. Spitfire's are a excellant choice for a mech.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:10 PM

The 2 fellas i bowhunt elk with use spitfires and swear by them. They have killed several elk over the years with them. The big claim the make is that the heads fly almost identical to their field points. I have seen the damage they do on an elk and it is impressive but i will stick to my wasps.
Old 11-15-2004, 08:27 PM

I shot three deer this season with Spitifires, two shots were broadside shots that went through perfectly, one shot was a very slightly quartering away shot and the arrow did deflect but it ended up being in my advantage. I had a decent 8, 20 yards away very slightly quartering away, my shot was a bit farther back than I would have wanted but it hit I believe the last rib and it deflected into the chest slicing through both lungs and the top of the heart. If it wouldn't have deflected I believe I would have hit the liver, but the deflection helped in this case. I believe if any arrow hits in certain places any will deflect, you just have to make sure you make the best shot possible. I believe spitfire broadheads are a great product and I have no plans of changing.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:21 AM

The last 12 deer I shot were with Spitfires, not one deer made it past 30 yards before falling over. This year I tried the Spitfire XP's with the cut on contact tip. All I can say is they are unbelievable. As with any shot, regardless of broadhead, you need to hit them were it counts. Mechanicals have made me more accurate, and with accuracy come quicker kills. I don't see my self changing from spitfire xp's any time soon.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

I drilleda doe in IL last week with a 125 gr spitfire. It entered in the back hip, went through the guts and exited behind the far side shoulder. There are not many shots that would be quartered away any harder than that shot, and the broadhead worked fine. The doe went about 50 yards and folded up.