Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My Moose Hunt!

Old 11-04-2004, 08:36 AM
Typical Buck

Default My Moose Hunt!

On my picture post some of you wanted to know more about my hunt! Well here it is.

Well the hunt was in the one of the hardest zones to Moose hunt in. It was in the Boundry Waters Canoe Area. No motorized anything. We had to pack and canoe everything we were bringing not to mention the Moose meat on the way out. It was alot of work but well worth it!

The first morning we set up on some marginal Moose sign. Moose sign was pretty hard to come by because of the warm weather and the Moose weren't rutting real heavy at first. We called for 4 hours without seeing or hearing anything, so we decided to do a little more scouting. Around 3/4 of a mile we came accross a series of beaver dams with a pretty big one on the south end of this chain!

When we were walking around a little slough north of this dam we stubled uppon a nice bull with a cow. We got him within 81 yards but couldn't get any closer. So the next couple of days we set up right were we seen that bull, but with no availe. Then we decided to do some more scouting. we did come accross another spot that had some pretty good bull sign. We set up there for one morning ant two evenings. Nothing! We decided to go back were we saw that bull and just ride the rest of our week out there. We also decided to split up! Its a party tag so you can only get one Moose per party. Are plan was to both get an arrow in one if we got a chance!
We split up and called that evening with nothing. Where I was sitting there was old
wallow. The next morning we decided to take our same spots. I hade a scent wick at 15yds and one at 30yds After around an hour of calling this small bull came out. Walked right to me I shot him at 17yds he flinched a little then procided to turn and smell the scent wick then he walked over a urinated in the wallow walked about 30yds and fell over dead! Hen didn't know he was hit. The ACC 360 at 70Lbs didn't even slow down on the way through. I never did find my arrow!

It took us 2 hours to bone him out and about 6 hours to get him to civilization! A once in a liftime Lic. And an experiance I'll never forget!

The meat is awesome! I think its better than beef! We have had loin, roast, and burgers so far and its delicious! I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me go to Canada and get another next year, but I don't think ist working

Old 11-04-2004, 09:04 AM

Default RE: My Moose Hunt!

Wow! That's a great story!

No moose around where I live, but I do hope to someday be able to go on a hunt for one. I've had moose once and you are right! VERY tasty!

Congratulations on a great experience!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've said it many times before - I would give up deer hunting altogether if I could go moose hunting every year. I absolutely love it. And you're right, the meat is awesome! Congrats on the bull, a moose of any size with a bow is certainly the trophy of a lifetime!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:14 AM

Great story Bird Hunt Dog,, Love the part about the bull still carrying on after being shot,, man that is one decent shot. Way to go!!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:23 AM

Congrats on what sounds like a great hunt. I wan on a moose hunt in Maine last fall and the guys I was with took a small bull. I't a great experience. The guys I was with were hunting with rifles so it was a bit diffrent then what you describe but I'd definately like to get a shot at one with a bow.

I'm glad you were able to tag one. I feel for the guy who gets a once in a lifetime permit and strikes out.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on the hunt and a great story to go with it!!!!! Just wondering what broadhead were ya using???
Old 11-04-2004, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

125 grain Muzzy!