Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

moose hunt?

Old 08-21-2005, 08:11 PM
jjt

Default moose hunt?

I have recently booked a moose hunt in the slave lake Alberta CA area

i was wondering if anybody here had hunted that area before and if they could tell me what to expect

thanks in adv.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: moose hunt?

Up I live just south about 50 minutes

What do ya need to know?
When are you hunting ?

AL
Old 08-22-2005, 07:30 PM
jjt

i am just wondering what to expect i will be there november 1-10 so it should be cold (I hope). what is the terrain like? can you see more than 10 feet in front of you? what is the elevation?what can i expect to take home for a moose? what is average/big?

i will be leaving elk camp and then driving up north. so i am planning on keeping the same pack. I am not to worried about the weather if i get stuck in canada that is all the longer until i got to go back to work. lol

i just see alot of out of area hunters that dont know what to look for in a trophy here in WY. so i am trying to get an idea on what to expect.
Old 08-22-2005, 09:56 PM

The area is comprised mostly of rolling hills as it is the northern edge of the Swan Hills region, at least the south side of the lake is. Flatens out a bit to the north and west sides of the lake. Pretty dense spruce forests with lots of cutblocks and cereal crops mixed in. I'm assuming that you will be spending a lot of time cruising th cutblocks looking for moose in them as the calling season is over.

It can get pretty cold this time of year. -30 wouldn't be uncommon, but you are most likely to see lows of -20 or so.

I'm sure Nicholal can fill you in a little more than I'll be able to as he lives up there. I just head up there to hunt.